Is Miami Florida a good place to be a real estate agent?

6 Replies

Hi, BP users. 

I haven’t been on in about 7 months and I am just one week away from getting my RE license. I will more than likely hang my license under Keller Williams as I have found two good mentor students under that brokerage.

I am currently living in what they call a “boutique market” and in a few years I would like to relocate to a bigger city where there’s potential for bigger and better opportunities in the industry. I wanted to hear from south Florida agents on what you guys think! 

Miami is the one city in America with the highest number of real estate agents. Here, which I find it absolutely ridiculous, you don't even need to speak English to get your licence as they have tests in Spanish!!!!! There are way too many agents that have no ethics. I've had my license for over 15 years. It's very hard to work with other agents as a great number of them never answer their phone or ever get back to you. With that being said there are exceptions to the rule of course and a few successful agents. I wish you the best of luck!!

any city is good. we have different challenges than other cities, including the ones Crista mentioned. If you have discipline, can follow models & possess at least a sprinkle of personality/ creativity, you will do well. 

Message me if can help / share advice. Happy to = good karma 🌴😇

@Marlon Thomas - KW is the way to go, be sure to sign up IGNITE and BOLD. If you follow the roadmap and execute the plan you will be successful. KW will lay it all out for you, but it's in the execution. Any place where you have lots of properties is a good place to be an agent. But know that you will have to work harder than you think, have high standards and ethics. KW has an excellent value system; I wish more agents would follow it. I think it's great if someone can speak spanish and can serve the comunity, but if your co-broke speaks only english you need to be fluent as well. Good luck!

Originally posted by @Malgorzata Sadowska :

any city is good. we have different challenges than other cities, including the ones Crista mentioned. If you have discipline, can follow models & possess at least a sprinkle of personality/ creativity, you will do well. 

Message me if can help / share advice. Happy to = good karma 🌴😇

Hi Malgorzata, how is the residential market doing in Miami right now? I’ve read that the luxury market is quite slow. What prices ranges in the market are selling pretty well?

Larger, more expensive markets are tempting for us new agents...I've learned that in larger, more expensive markets, there are proportionately more agents I'd be competing with. 

I'd rather start as a small fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond that I'm not familiar with. 

Originally posted by @Dillon Hall :

Larger, more expensive markets are tempting for us new agents...I've learned that in larger, more expensive markets, there are proportionately more agents I'd be competing with. 

I'd rather start as a small fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond that I'm not familiar with. 

As far as starting as a small fish in a large pond, I will be starting where I currently live, Williamsburg Virginia. I live in a “boutique market.” It’ll be at least a good 3-5 years until I finally move down to Miami or Fort Lauderdale. I’ll more than likely transfer to a Keller Williams office and try to find a mentor to work with so I can learn how to be a good agent in that market. Plus, as far as the heavy competition with larger-expensive markets, that also means there are a lot of bad agents too. Not sure what the bad to good ratio would be in Miami or Fort Lauderdale but I feel if I work very hard and follow the right steps to become successful customer oriented agent, I’ll be a success. The key for us as new agents is separating ourselves from the bad ones which is a difficult task.