Recommended Real Estate Courses - Online vs In-Person

12 Replies

I've decided to start a career as a real estate agent. Hooray! My understanding is that the first step for me (as a California resident) would be to take a licensing course. My dilemma is that I'm not sure whether to take them online, as I've seen a lot of reasonably priced options, or to take them in-person, in a class room, with a teacher and other students. I've taken online classes before for college and never learned as well as I would have if I had a real-life instructor. I would like your insight! Do you have any recommendations either way? Please share your experience with your pre-licensing education, and whether you found it to be beneficial.

Hi Michael,
I just recently completed the CA required courses online through Allied Business School (www.alliedschools.com) which I highly recommend if you go the online route. I chose to do online as I have 2 small kids and work from home so this was just easier for me. As you know you do have to be disciplined to get the courses completed but it’s nice that you can do them at your own pace if you have other things going on. If you learn better with live instruction and other classmates then definitely go that route. I think it’s just whatever works best for your situation. Education wise I don’t feel like I missed anything by doing it online on my own. Allied has great customer service, online portal and provided great material for studying for the exam. Let me know if you have any other questions, I’d be happy to help!
Good luck!
Jamie

Also look I to real estate trianers in Santa Ana and Duane gomer .

Allied all the way.  I used their online course when I activated my RE license in CA from my desk in AZ.  Allied Schools.

@Jamie Oie Thank you for your input! I've definitely been considering the online route simply because I work and am a full-time college student. However, I graduate in May and would ideally like to have my license by then so that I can get started with my career as soon as possible after graduation. It's reassuring to hear that you don't feel as though your experience with online courses put you at any disadvantage, as that was my main concern. I'll definitely look to you if I have any questions about it in the future!

@Cara Lonsdale So you were already licensed in the state of Arizona before becoming licensed in California? I'm curious how those two processes differed for you. In AZ did you take the courses in-class or also online? And could you compare that experience with your experience with Allied?

Thank you!

Originally posted by @Michael Strachan :

@Cara Lonsdale So you were already licensed in the state of Arizona before becoming licensed in California? I'm curious how those two processes differed for you. In AZ did you take the courses in-class or also online? And could you compare that experience with your experience with Allied?

Thank you!

Smart question.  Yes.  I had already been licensed in AZ for 7+ years before activating in CA.  I took traditional classes in person for my AZ license, although I took the intense class, which doubled up the day and evening classes to achieve completion in half the time.

Having my AZ license made a huge impact on which program I chose with Allied.  They offer many levels.  I took the most streamlined one because I knew my AZ experience would get me through the bulk of it.  It was the cheapest option, and didn't come with any helpers like flash cards or test preps.  I didn't feel like I would need those.

As a brand new licensee, I would suggest taking the option that would have some of those added bonuses like flash cards or test prep.  Allied has a great pass rate, so they know how to prepare you for the test.

Main difference between the two states (not school, or methods) is that in AZ, you learn about Real Estate fundamentals.  In CA, the classes and test focus more on litigation, and how NOT to get sued.  So, don't be surprised or disappointed that you aren't getting alot of MEAT out of the course.  The course is basically made to prepare you to take the test (which was written by attorneys), and become "qualified" to get into the RE field, and get settled with a broker who will teach and train you about RE fundamentals.

....and if you need a good Broker referral for once you are licensed, just PM me, and I will send you some great leadership contacts to connect with.

Yes take advantage of the package that offers the most studying material for the exam (dvd, flash cards, etc.) and you should be good. If my memory serves me core you only have to wait 18 days in between to move on to the next course so you can get it done pretty quick. There is a wait with the State right now of about 6-8 weeks for your application to get processed and given approval to take the exam so use that time to study!

@Michael Strachan Congrats for making that decision, Michael. 

What if you can do both? Try online and then see if you like it, and if you don't you can find a broker local to you. 

I think  The CE Shop is a good start to try out the online study mode. Check it out. 

Hope this helps. Goodluck. Thanks! - Ola  

Originally posted by @Cara Lonsdale :

Smart question.  Yes.  I had already been licensed in AZ for 7+ years before activating in CA.  I took traditional classes in person for my AZ license, although I took the intense class, which doubled up the day and evening classes to achieve completion in half the time.

Having my AZ license made a huge impact on which program I chose with Allied.  They offer many levels.  I took the most streamlined one because I knew my AZ experience would get me through the bulk of it.  It was the cheapest option, and didn't come with any helpers like flash cards or test preps.  I didn't feel like I would need those.

As a brand new licensee, I would suggest taking the option that would have some of those added bonuses like flash cards or test prep.  Allied has a great pass rate, so they know how to prepare you for the test.

Main difference between the two states (not school, or methods) is that in AZ, you learn about Real Estate fundamentals.  In CA, the classes and test focus more on litigation, and how NOT to get sued.  So, don't be surprised or disappointed that you aren't getting alot of MEAT out of the course.  The course is basically made to prepare you to take the test (which was written by attorneys), and become "qualified" to get into the RE field, and get settled with a broker who will teach and train you about RE fundamentals.

....and if you need a good Broker referral for once you are licensed, just PM me, and I will send you some great leadership contacts to connect with.

That's really great feedback and the exact kind of input I was looking for. Thank you for sharing! At this point I'm leaning towards taking them online. It's interesting what you said about CA being more geared towards the litigation side of things. Of course I would like to learn more about the "meat" as you said, so is that something I should keep in mind when looking for brokers? And in that case will some brokers have additional education/training available for newer agents as opposed to others? 

Thank you for all of your help so far.

Originally posted by @Ola Dantis :

@Michael Strachan Congrats for making that decision, Michael. 

What if you can do both? Try online and then see if you like it, and if you don't you can find a broker local to you. 

I think  The CE Shop is a good start to try out the online study mode. Check it out. 

Hope this helps. Goodluck. Thanks! - Ola  

So in the event that I decide to seek in-person education, you recommend that this be done with a broker rather than in a classroom setting? I would be curious to hear more about how something like that might work.

Thank you for your feedback!

@Michael Strachan Yes, the CE shop offers a trial period online. So, if you don't like it then you can find a classroom setting locally. 

Hope this helps. Thanks! - Ola 

Originally posted by @Michael Strachan :
Originally posted by @Cara Lonsdale:

That's really great feedback and the exact kind of input I was looking for. Thank you for sharing! At this point I'm leaning towards taking them online. It's interesting what you said about CA being more geared towards the litigation side of things. Of course I would like to learn more about the "meat" as you said, so is that something I should keep in mind when looking for brokers? And in that case will some brokers have additional education/training available for newer agents as opposed to others? 

Thank you for all of your help so far.

YES!  It should be at the top of your list of questions that you ask any broker you speak to about hanging your license with them.  I would go into the benefits of Keller Williams training and how it far exceeds anything else out there, but I don't want to get in trouble with BP since I also hold my license there.  If you want more details, you can PM me and I am happy to share.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here