Can Agents Share Awareness/Address of an Upcoming Property?

4 Replies

Say you interviewed two real estate agents that you we're considering to list your home with. You met them at THEIR OFFICE, they did not come over to your house. The agent does know your address though.

You have not signed or decided with either agent yet. One of the agents you interviewed then told outside parties about it, perhaps their friend or fellow agents in the office.

A couple days later, several neighbors are now aware of your intentions to sell, asking you about it, and other agents start approaching you saying they heard you are selling soon. 

Is that legal for agents to disclose their awareness of it with others like that? Or just not moral/ethical? 

That would not be wise to discuss it if it is not listed either buy them or another agent first. Like after the owner decides not to sell? What about potential buyers invasion of the owners privacy? I do not know if it is immoral or illegal but definitely not a good practice.

If you do not have any contractual relationship with them, then it is perfectly fine. They have no fiduciary obligation to you.

Originally posted by @Mike Miller :

Say you interviewed two real estate agents that you we're considering to list your home with. You met them at THEIR OFFICE, they did not come over to your house. The agent does know your address though.

You have not signed or decided with either agent yet. One of the agents you interviewed then told outside parties about it, perhaps their friend or fellow agents in the office.

A couple days later, several neighbors are now aware of your intentions to sell, asking you about it, and other agents start approaching you saying they heard you are selling soon. 

Is that legal for agents to disclose their awareness of it with others like that? Or just not moral/ethical? 

Sounds like the agent is out there hustling. The agent doesn't even have a commitment from you & they are already out there getting the word out about your property. I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I think you should be calling that agent & putting their hustle to work for you.

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Mike Miller:

Sounds like the agent is out there hustling. The agent doesn't even have a commitment from you & they are already out there getting the word out about your property. I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I think you should be calling that agent & putting their hustle to work for you.

Well of course they're out there hustling, they want a commission. But that's besides the point. In this event, it was my inlaws home, they decided to transfer the house to their son, (my brother in law), through Prop 58. So there was no reassessment tax. 

So it's no longer going to be sold anyways, but neighbors and agents are still approaching them. Just was curious on the morality or legality of it. I thought such discussions would be confidential regardless of signing a listing agreement. Guess not

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.