Illinois to Georgia Broker License Reciprocation

6 Replies

Hi,

I have a business partner that has her Real Estate Salesperson License in Georgia. She's recently relocated to IL.  I was hoping she could get her IL broker license and have it reciprocate to a GA broker license when she moves back to Georgia next year. I've been a bit unclear as to whether the broker license reciprocates if she is licensed in GA for less than 3 years.  At the time she moves back, she will have only had her GA salesperson license for two years.  In GA I believe you have to hold your salesperson license for 3 years prior to sitting for the broker exam.  Does anyone know if getting an IL broker license would reciprocate in GA? OR would she still have to wait until she's had her GA salesperson license for 3 years? She is asking her GA broker about it as well but thought I would reach out here in case the responses are more timely. Thanks in advance!

@Aundrea Newbern

Illinois does have a reciprocity agreement in place with Georgia and 8 other states.

In the other direction, Georgia has it with all other states except Florida.

Why not just wait until she moves back to GA in a year, which by then she would have 3 years as a GA licensee. Otherwise, she is paying fees, dues, and continued education in two states. What is the big rush? There are plenty of brokers to work with already.

She and I are wanting to start a property management company, now.  I don't want to wait another year nor do I want to do it under another broker.

Aundrea,

I would possibly call around to a few brokers in Illinois or PM companies and see if you can work out some sort of deal. A lot of states require the 2 year rule, although I would check in the PM part of it, some(although very few) don’t require a real estate license to do PM

Originally posted by @Aundrea Newbern :

Hi,

I have a business partner that has her Real Estate Salesperson License in Georgia. She's recently relocated to IL.  I was hoping she could get her IL broker license and have it reciprocate to a GA broker license when she moves back to Georgia next year. I've been a bit unclear as to whether the broker license reciprocates if she is licensed in GA for less than 3 years.  At the time she moves back, she will have only had her GA salesperson license for two years.  In GA I believe you have to hold your salesperson license for 3 years prior to sitting for the broker exam.  Does anyone know if getting an IL broker license would reciprocate in GA? OR would she still have to wait until she's had her GA salesperson license for 3 years? She is asking her GA broker about it as well but thought I would reach out here in case the responses are more timely. Thanks in advance!

IL and GA are reciprocal.  In IL our minimum license is a broker's and that is the equivalent to a salesperson in GA.  You need to have your brokers for 2 years and do additional schooling to get your managing brokers in IL - which would be the equivalent to your brokers 

She needs to contact the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation in Springfield, IL.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here