Is 16 years old to early to be an intern at a brokerage?

5 Replies

Hello BP, 

I turn 16 years old in the next couple of months and I am really into becoming a real estate agent/broker in a couple of years, but i don't know if 16 years old is to early to shadow a broker or agent. For the last year or so I have read multiple business books (specifically real estate related) and I have been studying real estate intensely on youtube etc. for the last year so. I now know the basics of investing in real estate and how to be a good well rounded agent (the only thing I have invested in is stocks and crypto currency so far). I really enjoy real estate and I love working hard at it so I'm anxious for an internship. I feel like I have invested enough time in myself to take the next step and see what it is really like in the real estate agent world. Let me know if you think its to early to get a real estate mentor at a brokerage, or if its a good idea to start early. Thanks for your time.

Also do you think becoming a residential real estate agent is a bad career to get into in the next couple of years due to the technological advances, making agents more obsolete?

Hello Ryan,

I think we are both in a very similar situation. I am only 17 years old and I have also been trying to figure out the same thing. I think the only way to find out the answer is to go and talk to someone. Offer up your services to a local broker or agent and see what they say. You will probably have to start for working for free, but it will give you valuable real world experience. Remember the worst thing they can say is no.

Hi Ryan,

It's never too soon to start learning. I started in property management at 19 and got my real estate license at 22 after working in a real estate office for 6 months, and I always wish I had started sooner. There's a ton of stuff that you will never be able to learn from books and articles so get started as soon as you can.  As for whether or not to go into residential, just know that real estate is a service business, people are free to buy and sell property on their own, so you simply need to get good at what you do and show people you have value. If you can do that you will minimize the risk of being phased out.

No it’s not my first real job was at 14 so idk why working at 16 would be any different

I commend you both for getting out and following a passion for something that doesn't start with multiplayer or have a remote with it.

I personally do not think it is ever to early to start learning anything and interning is another form of education. Please don't count out furthering your formal education for the hopes of getting rich in real estate. Markets can crash but knowledge can never be taken away. Both can be done simultaneously as you seem driven enough. 

Good luck in your adventure!

Originally posted by @Ryan P. Kotschedoff :

Hello BP, 

I turn 16 years old in the next couple of months and I am really into becoming a real estate agent/broker in a couple of years, but i don't know if 16 years old is to early to shadow a broker or agent. For the last year or so I have read multiple business books (specifically real estate related) and I have been studying real estate intensely on youtube etc. for the last year so. I now know the basics of investing in real estate and how to be a good well rounded agent (the only thing I have invested in is stocks and crypto currency so far). I really enjoy real estate and I love working hard at it so I'm anxious for an internship. I feel like I have invested enough time in myself to take the next step and see what it is really like in the real estate agent world. Let me know if you think its to early to get a real estate mentor at a brokerage, or if its a good idea to start early. Thanks for your time.

Also do you think becoming a residential real estate agent is a bad career to get into in the next couple of years due to the technological advances, making agents more obsolete?

Its never to early to start anything! You have a goal you have a dream, pursue it, have no fear!!! Life is littered with no's and you only need one yes!!