Talking to an agent for the first time?

5 Replies

So I'm just getting into real estate and I'm just doing research and searching on Zillow just to get a feel for what's really going on in real estate so I pushed the button on more information about this property in Georgia and a real estate agent text immediately after. My question is what do I do because I have no intention on making an offer just want to test the waters per say and find out how this conversation is supposed to go for the future?

@Jonathan W Ford

#1) Stop using Zillow..  Zillow is horrible..   Use Redfin instead..  

#2) Don't push the button, lol

#3) What do you want to know in regards to testing the waters?  I'm not licensed there and know nothing about Georgia, but can certainly help with some guidance as far as the taboo realtor aspect 

@Brandon Carriere

Great advice on pushing the button.

And I will check that site out. I just want to get over the anxiety way before I get ready to make a deal and I want to know is there talking a agent down on price or is that only the owner.

And if you have any knowledge on how to do a whole sale deal that would be great!

@Jonathan W Ford

Don't have anxiety.. Just be honest with the agent.. Let them know you're curious about investment properties in that area and are at the very beginning of your real estate endeavors.. If they respond favorably, have them set you up on a search based on your criteria in that area so you get properties emailed to you straight from the MLS that fit what you're looking for.. After they're aware of your circumstance, call them and ask any questions you may have.. You may not jive with that agent or they may end up ignoring you, either way, its ok.. There's plenty of others out there..

As far as offers go, the agents don't set the price..  The seller of the property sets the price..  Your agent will work on your behalf to try and get you the best deal..  The agent will help guide you throughout the process and help with offer strategies, what would be reasonable or not, what to expect, everything about the process from beginning to end, etc etc..   If an agent doesnt do these things, fire them and find one that does..  Or I can help you find one that will work with you..

As far as wholesaling..  In a nutshell, you need to find a seller willing to sell their property at a discount..  Thats step 1, and a challenge in itself..  Then, step 2 is finding someone who will to take over that deal from you, at a higher price (or willing to pay you an assignment fee), essentially netting you a profit for playing middle man, or brokering the deal..    Lemme tell you from being in real estate looking for sellers for years, ITS HARD..  Its even harder from a wholesaling standpoint because youre not even giving the seller market value..  Its not even legal in some places, so check the laws etc..   Good luck!

Originally posted by @Brandon Carriere :

@Jonathan W Ford

#1) Stop using Zillow..  Zillow is horrible..   Use Redfin instead..  

#2) Don't push the button, lol

#3) What do you want to know in regards to testing the waters?  I'm not licensed there and know nothing about Georgia, but can certainly help with some guidance as far as the taboo realtor aspect 

Stop using zillow, but use redfin? what kind of advice is that? The information is derived from the same place for every 3rd party site. 

@Brandon L.

Not sure how experienced you are, but everyone and their brother knows Zillow is perpetually MONTHS behind with their listings accuracy etc, which causes headaches for both the client and the agents..  Redfin is incredibly accurate compared to any other site..