Do you attend the home inspection as Buyer's Agent?

Do you attend the home inspection as Buyer's Agent?

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

I always attend my buyer's home inspections. I've been through this before multiple times, and many of them have not ever been through one.

I'm there the entire time, and encourage my buyers to be there the entire time as well so they can ask questions and get clarification.

I have a listing with an inspection this weekend. (Of COURSE I am out of town because that's when ALL the real estate things happen.)

Buyer's agent is not planning on attending the inspection, but the buyers are. 

Is this odd? Am I old fashioned? Do you attend your buyers inspections?

6Reply
187 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7y

Lazy buyer's agent. You're right, that is unusual. 

Buyer is going to read something in a report that the buyer's agent has no context on because they weren't there. As a result, an ant hill will be made into a mountain. And you as the listing agent are going to get some ridiculous repair request that the buyer's agent didn't/can't filter or moderate, because they weren't there to see the thing in person with her own eyes. Your seller will of course refuse this ridiculous request. But, because the other agent didn't see the thing in person, they will not have a leg to stand on when they go back to the buyer with your seller's refusal, jamming up the negotiation process.

Good luck with your listing... Hopefully I'm wrong!

One of the top listing agents in my area told me she refuses to accept offers from Redfin because they use $35/hr zero commission "associate agents" to host inspections/appraisals, etc, rather than the actual deal-writing agent, causing the above to be the norm w/ Redfin rather than the exception. 

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    Lazy buyer's agent. You're right, that is unusual. 

    Buyer is going to read something in a report that the buyer's agent has no context on because they weren't there. As a result, an ant hill will be made into a mountain. And you as the listing agent are going to get some ridiculous repair request that the buyer's agent didn't/can't filter or moderate, because they weren't there to see the thing in person with her own eyes. Your seller will of course refuse this ridiculous request. But, because the other agent didn't see the thing in person, they will not have a leg to stand on when they go back to the buyer with your seller's refusal, jamming up the negotiation process.

    Good luck with your listing... Hopefully I'm wrong!

    One of the top listing agents in my area told me she refuses to accept offers from Redfin because they use $35/hr zero commission "associate agents" to host inspections/appraisals, etc, rather than the actual deal-writing agent, causing the above to be the norm w/ Redfin rather than the exception. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2017 · 172 posts · 107 votes
    7y

    Hi @Mindy Jensen,

    You aren't alone!  I absolutely attend all of my buyers inspections for the same exact reasons you mentioned.  I've been there, done that and encourage them to attend as well.  That's their time to ask questions and learn about the property they're buying.  Plus, they're spending the money to have it done!

    Not all of my buyers have attended inspections, but I'd say 90% of them do, even if it's dropping in near the end to hear what was found first hand.

  • Appraiser · Easton, CT · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 98 votes
    7y

    Yes. As a buyer's agent, I attend. I think it's important to know what's going on with the home as well as an opportunity to build trust and rapport with my client. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    I agree entirely @Mindy Jensen.

    I'm always sure to be present during an entire home inspection for all of my clients. I also encourage the buyers to attend as well.

    I would say about 95% of my buyers actually attend the inspection. I have found that it truly cuts down on questions and concerns from the buyers when the inspection report comes back with deficiencies. The inspector has expertise in that area so it's best to let the buyers hear feedback straight from the home inspection professional for liability, and accuracy as well. 

  • Rental Property Investor · AZ · Member since 2018 · 212 posts · 183 votes
    7y

    I do unless it’s scheduled at a time I can’t, it’s more important that the buyer be there than me so they get first schedule choice.

    Also I come at the end for the walkthrough. I don’t want to be in their way and I’m comfortable enough to be told 99% of it and be up to speed immediately.  Nice to be mechanically-(ultra)inclined.

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Yep. I attend all of them. I wouldn't want to be in the position where my buyer asks me about something and I am totally blind sighted. Our MLS is on an e-key that only agents and appraisers can get access to (that I know of). So even if the inspector wanted to do it without an agent, they wouldn't be able to without someone opening it up for them.

    I like to have buyers there if possible, even if it's just to stop in at the end and get a run down. I work with a lot of out of state buyers so obviously they can't be there for inspections, but I take pictures and I work with an inspector that is willing to get on the phone and explain anything that I can't explain well. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    my wife and daughter do.. I dont and i would say in our area buyers generally are not there.. this is our new construction.. WE have the GC's lead come in last half hour to get any major issue directly addressed i mean its their responsibility to fix any thing and many times inspector and GC clash inspector says not to code but inspector is not right.. GC gets fired up .. we have to referree. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    I'm a newer agent, but what I do has worked very well and my clients haven't had any concerns. 

    I've built great relationships with home inspectors. In our area - our inspectors like to inspect on their own (so that they can get the job done and not have to stop every second because of an overly concerned buyer). 

    We then meet the inspector for an hour (towards the end of the inspection) and he walks through the inspection in detail and goes over the areas that were of concern with my clients and I. We ask all the questions we need to ask and are always left with a great understanding of what will be in the report. 

    I set the expectation with my client at the buyers consultation and so far I've never had a problem. 

    In my area inspections can last 4 hours - which is why we do it this way. How long are your locations inspections? 

  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    You have to as a buyer's agent.  You are representing your client's interest. No excuses you show up.  If you can't make it someone from your team does.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    Lazy agent, not living up to feduciary duties. I don't always attend the whole thing, but shure as heck I am there for the last 30 min and the recap with the inspector. I want to see first hand what has found to be wrong.

  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I make it a point to be there for my clients to help with any explanations that I can and offer assurance about what to expect. I make sure they attend as well as there will always be questions and it is best to have the answered by the licensed inspector firsthand and not by the realtor secondhand.

  • Lender · Kaysville, UT · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    Absolutely! For a first time home buyer especially the home inspection can be overwhelming and scary. Fortunately I work with a great home inspector and he is great at letting my clients know what the big issues are and what issues are normal for the age of home. I will always attend the inspection with my clients.  

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    @Mindy Jensen my agent has been at every one of my inspections. It is important to be there for multiple reasons. First of all, you need to see it with your own eyes. Secondly, it is hard for buyers to gauge severity and some inspectors can freak people out. Any good inspector will find a bunch of issues, but it is usually it all minor and expected on older properties. The realtor needs to be there to put it in perspective. If it is serious, the agent needs to understand the issue, so they can help negotiate resolution. 

  • Franklin, TN · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    When representing buyer's I'm always attending home inspections, etc.  It's my fiduciary responsibility not to mention it's important to me to understand the nature of any problems that might be lurking.

  • Real Estate Broker · Santa Ana CA [South Coast Metro] · Member since 2016 · 459 posts · 202 votes
    7y

    I always do. Its good to be there to head off any surprises. 

    Its like when you get an xray and the tech can not discuss the results with th patient. As an agent you can help your buyer not feel so intimidated and not fret too much that it needs a reroof

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    And who is providing access to the property? That is there job to be there, or have another agent be there in their place. Unlicensed individuals cant provide access to the home.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    Lazy buyer's agent. You're right, that is unusual. 

    Buyer is going to read something in a report that the buyer's agent has no context on because they weren't there. As a result, an ant hill will be made into a mountain. And you as the listing agent are going to get some ridiculous repair request that the buyer's agent didn't/can't filter or moderate, because they weren't there to see the thing in person with her own eyes. Your seller will of course refuse this ridiculous request. But, because the other agent didn't see the thing in person, they will not have a leg to stand on when they go back to the buyer with your seller's refusal, jamming up the negotiation process.

    Good luck with your listing... Hopefully I'm wrong!

    One of the top listing agents in my area told me she refuses to accept offers from Redfin because they use $35/hr zero commission "associate agents" to host inspections/appraisals, etc, rather than the actual deal-writing agent, causing the above to be the norm w/ Redfin rather than the exception. 

     Yup, always inspection problems with redfin agents who have no idea what they are doing. And they are not making that much hourly, at least not here.  One of the most critical things an agent does imho is knowing who the players in the field in, and who does what. Who negotiates in good faith, who in bad faith...who preps their clients for the realities of inspections and who just opens the door.  If you are a bad agent ot dont have a clue, my client isnt selling a property to a buyer with a bad agent. Of course I usually have many offers to pick from and negotiate with.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    7y

    I have in the past, not so much anymore.  

    However I would recommend be there for inspection.  Better to have that conversation with your inspector right away than waiting for the report.  There will be technical stuff you have no idea what they mean, for example an un-experienced buyer may need to call them to figure out what the heck "GFCI" means.  Due to safety concerns, this often shows up in their report, but is "inexpensive" to repair. 

    They do not give cost estimate for repairs in their inspection report.  Is a visual inspection, unless required a more intrusive inspection which will be something specialized after your initial inspection, and will be done from a specialized inspector.  Most of the time, they may verbally tell you a ballpark of the repair cost withing their knowledge if there is not specialized items.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Westboro, MA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 471 votes
    7y

    Absolutely should be there as a buyers agent 

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I NEVER attend inspections. I will go and greet everyone and make sure everything gets going and to make the buyers feel comfortable but I hardly ever walk around with the inspector. It is a major liability for an agent because the buyer will come back and say "do you remember what the inspector said about XYZ, it's not in the report" etc. I help them through the transaction every step of the way but will not take on any form of liability when it comes to home inspections. 

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I always attend as a buyers agent and I also try to attend as a seller's agent as well. The seller has an interest in knowing what is found and the scope of the issue. 

    For buyers, I always recommend they attend. I recommend that they follow the inspector and I recommend that they ask questions. They can get a whole wealth of information about their home by doing this if they have a good inspector.

    @Angela Palchowski, I don't think having a less than perfect memory adds any liability to you. Not attending just makes an agent's job harder. Its harder to ask questions later to understand whats in a report. Its MUCH easier to do that when the issue is right in front of everyone at the home during the inspection. 

    Also learning things from inspectors can actually LESSEN your liability. For example, as an agent you are expected to know what certain basic things are such as a termite trail. So, if you see that on a showing and its visible you are as an agent you are expected to know what it is and to point it out. Learning from inspections keeps us sharp and best able to serve clients.

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Angela Palchowski, another good example of something agents should be able to spot that is also something that would come up on inspections:

    A 60 amp electrical service and a 100 or 200 amp panel setup. 

    This scenario comes up during our continuing education courses to renew our agents license, but Im sure many agents don't think about this sort of thing when showing houses. If we attend inspections, we are reminded of these sorts of things because we see and talk about them and then the information sticks better.

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Sobilo buyers are the ones paying for the inspection report. Sellers and sellers agent are not permitted to be there without permission from the buyer. Also, the buyer doesn’t need to send the sellers the report after. I fully agree that agents should be able to point out those things such as termite damage, etc. If an agent as minimal experience it is their responsibility to learn those things before showing house. I’m just not putting myself in the middle of a court appearance because I was a witness to the home inspection when the buyer either sues the seller or the inspection company down the road. I can 100% do my job and represent my client without attending the home inspection. After the inspection I go over the entire report with them and answer any questions they have in regards to selling or buying real estate. 

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Angela Palchowski, the seller owns the property. So, they or their representative are able to be present. So, that isn't the buyer's decision at all. I think its a common misconception. I never considered attending as a seller's agent until I changed offices and my new broker brought it up and encouraged the agents to do so. After that, I thought about it and realized the value in what he was saying. 

    As I said, you don't become more liable for attending, it just let's you better represent your client. First hand information is better than 2nd hand information or discussing something you aren't there to see. It isn't about doing "the job" because you can certainly do the job without attending. Its that attending allows you to do it better. Its better for your client. If you're afraid to become too involved, that isn't servicing your client as best as you could in my opinion.

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Angela Palchowski, one more ancillary reason for a seller or their agent to be present at inspections is to make sure the inspector does his work safely and does not damage the property. 

    Of course, this shouldn't be necessary, but unfortunately once in a great while it is. One time I had to stop an inspector from trying to climb up garage shelving to get to an attic space above. It wasn't safe and it was likely to result in some sort of damage. 

    These sorts of incidents are rare I'm sure, but it does happen and it isn't really very different than listings where a seller asks their seller's agent to be present at all showings to make sure their property is respected.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.