When buying property for yourself in another state

When buying property for yourself in another state

Specialist · SC · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 19 votes

Curious if there is specific disclosure verbiage that you need to use when buying something in another state, for yourself? Do you just need to put something like this on top or bottom of the P&S agreement?

"Buyer (checkbox) Seller (Checkbox) is a licensed real estate agent contracting in their own interest." 

                                                     Or

"BUYER (checkbox) SELLER (Checkbox) IS THE PRINCIPLE IN THIS TRANSACTION AND IS A LICENSED REAL ESTATE AGENT. BUYER DOES NOT REPRESENT ANYONE IN THIS TRANSACTION BUT THEMSELVES."

Would either one be enough? Would I need to do more than this? I think either would work. I tried calling multiple agencies (NAR, local MLSs state agencies), they all just pawned me off to another department, nobody had an answer.

Thanks

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg ParkerBusiness Member
Realtor, Contractor, Property Manager · Montgomery AL and Kowaliga, AL · Member since 2017 · 663 posts · 536 votes
7y
Alabama law just states that it must be disclosed. So I think the first one is fine.
MGM Property Pros LLC
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ParkerBusiness Member
    Realtor, Contractor, Property Manager · Montgomery AL and Kowaliga, AL · Member since 2017 · 663 posts · 536 votes
    7y
    Alabama law just states that it must be disclosed. So I think the first one is fine.
    MGM Property Pros LLC
    View Page
  • Specialist · SC · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Yeah, I was just trying to make sure there isn't some hard fast rule or what needs to be said.

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I just usually use an addenda. Less is more.

    "Seller acknowledges that they buyer is a Licensed Real estate agent in NY" and have them sign. 

    Good Luck!

  • Joe FunariBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 850 posts · 825 votes
    7y

    @Chris DeSisto best advise I received from another investor is disclose down your underpants. So your on the right track. Here in Texas paragraph 4 of the 1to4 resale residential contract is reserved for license holders disclosures. So if you buy here in Texas I would recommend you place in that paragraph your a license holder from whatever state you hold your license.

  • Specialist · SC · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Joe Funari

    Ok, so just adding in the state to the first option should be clear enough. Not trying to get complicated, just need it in writing, and I can tell them verbally when I talk to them.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    You should comply with both your own state licensure requirements and the state you are purchasing in. It won't kill your deal, but could save a huge cost down the road if Buyer changes his mind later.

  • Specialist · SC · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Ronald Rohde

    The in-state requirement is "Buyer (Checkbox) Seller Checkbox) is a South Carolina real estate licensee"

    That is what is on the state promulgated purchase and sales agreement. As far as other states, I looked at their P&S and didn't see anything specific (that I saw), some anyway, Texas does. Also, I even called NAR (in Chicago) and the local agencies in the state i was thinking of buying in and nobody had an answer. They all just pawned me off to different departments or agencies.. kind ridiculous if you ask me. So, what can I do but disclose that I am licensed? Even in NARs ethics stuff, 4-1 says you need to disclose but doesn't give any exact verbiage. This comes right off of their website.

    2019 Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice

    "REALTORS® shall not acquire an interest in or buy or present offers from themselves, any member of their immediate families, their firms or any member thereof, or any entities in which they have any ownership interest, any real property without making their true position known to the owner or the owner’s agent or broker. In selling property they own, or in which they have any interest, REALTORS® shall reveal their ownership or interest in writing to the purchaser or the purchaser’s representative. (Amended 1/00) [listen]

    • Standard of Practice 4-1

    For the protection of all parties, the disclosures required by Article 4 shall be in writing and provided by REALTORS® prior to the signing of any contract. (Adopted 2/86)"

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    So if it doubt, disclose as an additional protection. Err on the side of caution.

  • Specialist · SC · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Ronald Rohde

    For sure, no reason not, honestly.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.