Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Carl Ohai
Votes |
Transition to RE agent with full-time job

Carl Ohai
Posted Sep 28 2019, 08:34

I am interested in making the switch to becoming a real estate agent. I have some of the standard newbie questions.

I'm already well-read on all of the requirements to get licensed in my state, but what I am clueless about is what happens next in terms of learning the craft.

1. How does getting on a team with a broker typically work? Do you apply for it like any other job and have to compete against other applicants? Or are they usually eager to get new agents?

2. Do brokerages deliver you leads? Or are you responsible for finding all of your own leads? 

2a. Suppose I work for a big-name franchisee like Century 21 or ReMax and a buyer or seller walks in the door, how does the brokerage usually dole out who gets that buyer/seller?

3. I have heard that it's good to have another income source when you start. For me that is a full-time job. How feasible is it to make the transition to becoming a full time agent while working a full time job already? 

4. Do brokerages usually want to waste their time with agents that already have an employer to whom they are beholden?

5. What freedom do bigger brokerages offer agents in terms of their own marketing? For instance is C21 likely to require that all of my marketing include their branding? Do I have to get approval for all of my marketing efforts?

6. How does the mentorship process generally work for a brand new agent that doesn't have a grasp on the process? Do I shadow an established agent around? Or do I make a sale and split some commissions with the more senior agent?

Loading replies...