Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
JENNIFER LOVE
  • Belleview, FL
Votes |
Is it normal for an agent to step out....

JENNIFER LOVE
  • Belleview, FL
Posted Oct 1 2012, 19:06

We had a showing at our home today....the agent stepped outside to take a cigarrette break, leaving the buyer inside alone for 10 minutes, then putting the cigarette out onto our exterior concrete patio.
Is it appropriate for the realtor to leave the buyer in a home unattended?
Thank you! :)

User Stats

Votes
James Vermillion
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Oct 3 2012, 05:38

I do not understand why it is so difficult for some people to answer a question without being rude. My favorite is when people respond by telling the poster they should have more important things to do or other things to worry about, yet they are the ones who took time to write a non-helpful, response...shouldn't they have better things to do and other things to worry about?

As to the topic of your post JENNIFER LOVE I do not think it is normal for people to leave buyers in a property like that and I would not do it if I were showing a house (my license is inactive and has been since I received it). As for the smoking...was it a big deal? No, but does that mean it was not worth mentioning, no. While it may be legal, I would think a professional could wait until they have finished with their clients, and if not, perhaps they could have put it out somewhere else...its not rocket science.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Brian
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Anderson, SC
Votes |
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Anderson, SC
Replied Oct 3 2012, 06:01

As both an agent and a smoker let me chime in with my opinion.

The agent should not have left the buyers unattended. Period.

As far as smoking outside, that should be OK except for putting the cig out on the concrete. Agent should have put out on the grass and then put the butt in their pocket to dispose of properly.

Not sure I would say the agent is a scum bag. Maybe not the sharpest knife in the drawer but probably not a scumbag IMHO.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Ocala, FL
Votes |
  • Ocala, FL
Replied Oct 3 2012, 07:41
Originally posted by JENNIFER LOVE:
Originally posted by Aaron Churnick:
If you are that worried about what people are doing in your home than you should of required your agent to be at all showings. I can't imagine the time it would take to few a recording of even 1 camera, let alone if you had multiple.

I find it curious that Jennifer Love only owns 1 property in marion county and it doesn't show for sale. If that is your house on redwood though i'd hope you would short sale it...house is worth about 35%-40% of your mortgage.

Hi Aaron, the listed property you are referring to on redwood is not mine. I find it curious that you would research me, lol. My middle name is Love, my last name is not listed, which I'm beginning to think is a good thing. ;)

You are in my backyard, I always research everything about the people in my market. Took me 60 seconds to know that your story didn't add up. Not that you matter.

Would it surprise you I look at every deed that transfers in Marion County? How about if i said I know every property that is considered "shadow inventory" Or that I watch every foreclosure that goes through the system to see if any fall into a crack i can profit from. I know every REO before the various REO agents even get their rekey order, let alone it being on the MLS. So as agents run around waiting for the MLS to update, i already know and have done my inspections.

Information is power in this industry.

User Stats

Votes
JENNIFER LOVE
  • Belleview, FL
Votes |
  • Belleview, FL
Replied Oct 3 2012, 07:57

Aaron what "story" are you referring to?
The buyers agent (not the one referred to in the OP) that put a full price offer on my property is with Coldwell Banker in Ocala, my listing is neither a foreclosure or a short sale. I purchased the property prior to the marketing boom and tank, purchased in 2001.
As to your comment "not that you matter" that is an unprofessional statement sir and if you do live in Ocala then you would know it is a very small town and everyone knows everyone. Also that word of mouth is definitely something to remember. It would be interesting to know who you are affiliated with and if they believe your responses are in line with their professional standards. :) I'm wondering if we "know" any of the same people that you feel "matter". That would be interesting.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Kucheck
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied Oct 3 2012, 08:06

Just thought I would level the playing field a bit...

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/licenseRelation.asp?SID=&licid=3652965

JENNIFER LOVE... have you noticed that everyone picking a fight with you is a realtor? There is a lot of unnecessary realtor hate, and that puts a lot of people on the defensive. That ends up causing things like this. Doesn't take away from your initial point that the agent acted unprofessionally, but you'll save yourself a lot of headache by letting these kinds interactions roll of your back, instead of engaging in each one.

User Stats

Votes
JENNIFER LOVE
  • Belleview, FL
Votes |
  • Belleview, FL
Replied Oct 3 2012, 08:10
Originally posted by Jake Kucheck:

JENNIFER LOVE... have you noticed that everyone picking a fight with you is a realtor? There is a lot of unnecessary realtor hate, and that puts a lot of people on the defensive. That ends up causing things like this. Doesn't take away from your initial point that the agent acted unprofessionally, but you'll save yourself a lot of headache by letting these kinds interactions roll of your back, instead of engaging in each one.

True. Noted. The OP was posed in the form of a question not indeed to offended anyone. :)

User Stats

Votes
JENNIFER LOVE
  • Belleview, FL
Votes |
  • Belleview, FL
Replied Oct 3 2012, 08:11
Originally posted by Jake Kucheck:

Thank you for the info link. :)

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Oct 3 2012, 08:30

I just can't believe Jennifer is getting personal attacks on here for asking a question.

I think it is sad even though I do commercial real estate only that some brokers and agents that do residential have such low professional standards as to carry themselves like that.

I can't say that I am surprised given that 90% of first year agents fail and leave the business and most of those work with buyers as they do not have experience for most sellers to give them listings yet.

Did you know that a cigarette has a filter on it but what is spewed into the air does not?? So the person that is smoking is choosing to protect themselves but put everyone else in harms way with something 100 times more toxic than what they are inhaling.

I guess some brokers/agents have never heard of etiquette or personal conduct business standards.

User Stats

Votes
Steve K
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Oct 3 2012, 08:43
Originally posted by Joel Owens:
I just can't believe Jennifer is getting personal attacks on here for asking a question.

I think it is sad even though I do commercial real estate only that some brokers and agents that do residential have such low professional standards as to carry themselves like that.

Concur. Personally I believe the licensing exams should be much more difficult. In Florida a barely trained monkey could easily pass the agent exam and not surprisingly that's what describes the professionalism of a good percentage of agents out there in my local market.

Account Closed
  • Ocala, FL
Votes |
  • Ocala, FL
Replied Oct 3 2012, 09:33

I'm not picking a fight. I actually felt i gave her important information for "next time" regarding her agent to be present for all showings. As for the 2nd paragraph, was simply again giving information to the forum that her information didn't add up. Apparently because she gave us all here a different name if you choose to believe her now. Furthermore, the house on another post she claims to have a contract on is still active. Again, not adding up. Maybe there are reasons why all this doesn't add up, or maybe she is a forum troll. We may never find out.

Ocala is a small town, ask around about me. Everyone knows I don't take new clients so you knowing people i know, yeah whatever if you bump into one they will laugh as I'm pretty much like this in my normal life. I call it like i see it.

Google my name and you get my cell too, or a couple of cool articles about flips i did. My clients only care about results. Buy a house for 80k and sell it for 200k for an investor and I'm pretty sure I can show up to work in a thong and top hat and they will still be happy.

In regards to her other thread....Highest and best on a 60 day old property and she goes over original asking price. Investor move....seriously?

Done with this thread. You win Jennifer, you got me on the defensive. You actually mattered in my life for the time it took to slam out a half coherent post.

User Stats

Votes
JENNIFER LOVE
  • Belleview, FL
Votes |
  • Belleview, FL
Replied Oct 3 2012, 09:40

Aaron the other house was under contract after I had it inspected this Saturday, I withdrew my offer. :) it was a great property, 3.9 acres close to the lake, I wakeboard so it would have been fun, and I would love to have the exta land for my horses but needed A LOT of work and there was septic issues, so I was in over my head.
I'm not an investor.
I willbe sure to ask about you. ;) I hope to shake hands one day. :)

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Oct 3 2012, 11:49

You are in my backyard, I always research everything about the people in my market. Took me 60 seconds to know that your story didn't add up. Not that you matter.

I've been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to address this comment.

But, I just can't do it in a way that wouldn't require me using inappropriate language. Anyone know a non-profane synonym for "*******"?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
JENNIFER LOVE
  • Belleview, FL
Votes |
  • Belleview, FL
Replied Oct 3 2012, 11:58
Originally posted by J Scott:

I've been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to address this comment.

But, I just can't do it in a way that wouldn't require me using inappropriate language. Anyone know a non-profane synonym for "*******"?

LOL, My mother use to say a "pita" (pain in the ...)

User Stats

Votes
Dave M.
  • Residential Landlord
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Residential Landlord
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Oct 3 2012, 12:04

Jennifer:

Just curious, I didn't see you post this detail.

Were you there for the showing, i.e. could the agent reason that the client was not unattended in the property? Or did you witness this on the security video, i.e. agent left client unattended and thought "nobody will ever find out"?

User Stats

Votes
JENNIFER LOVE
  • Belleview, FL
Votes |
  • Belleview, FL
Replied Oct 3 2012, 12:07
Originally posted by Dave Meyer:
Jennifer:

Just curious, I didn't see you post this detail.

Were you there for the showing, i.e. could the agent reason that the client was not unattended in the property? Or did you witness this on the security video, i.e. agent left client unattended and thought "nobody will ever find out"?

Hi Dave!
The latter, I was not there on the property, it was on the security camera.
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied Oct 3 2012, 13:03

If I were an agent I would take note of this thread and start considering what security cameras can do you for you. (Since we have now been made aware how they can work against you.) Maybe go the extra mile the next time you notice one. Selling is partly an act anyway, so use the camera(s) to your advantage. It's a silent movie, so big, demonstrative gestures and bringing the buyer's attention to property details may just get you your next listing.

User Stats

Votes
Larry K.
  • Investor and Architect
  • Ramsey, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor and Architect
  • Ramsey, NJ
Replied Oct 3 2012, 13:07

Stepping out it bad. The cigarette butt is much worse.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan B.
  • Investor
  • -, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • -, IL
Replied Oct 3 2012, 18:49
Originally posted by J Scott:

D-bag or sucker wacker come to mind.