New broker seeking mentor/principal broker

5 Replies

Any suggestions for finding a mentor/principal broker in the Portland Metro area? I’m looking for guidance and education over who offers highest commission, etc. at this point. I just want to learn and get off to a good start. 

I’m open to suggestions of specific agencies or out-of-the-box suggestions to get started.  I have a flexible job that is carrying me, so I want to focus on learning and exploring at this point. 

Hi Lance,

Congrats! I ended up going with Premier property group. I can tell you that their mentorship program is amazing and has helped me so much.  They definitely earn their cut! I literally could not have gotten started without my mentor’s assistance. I’m still quite behind in where I was expecting to be due to the pandemic. I had to put everything on hold for awhile. I started out at Berkshire Hathaway and did not care for it much. PPG is very thorough and has offered wonderful support. If you need anything or have a question, you can just throw it out on one of the Google groups and your question will likely be answered within minutes. I don’t have much to compare it to, since I’m fairly new still, but I wouldn’t hesitate to go with them.  I actually recently realized that an agent who helped me buy my first house a few years ago, who has decades of experience, is now with them after being with a different agency for many years. So that probably says something.  If I can answer further questions, let me know. Good luck to you. 

Whitney 

Hey @Lance Nelson , congrats on getting your license! At this phase of your journey having the mindset a la Robert Kiyosaki of "work to learn instead of work to earn" will pay huge dividends down the road. Also, you'll find that many of the mainstream brokerages aren't necessarily interested in working with investor agents.

If you're looking to invest AND be an agent, find an agent who's doing the type of investing or working with the types of clients you'd like to. I was interested in multi-family investing and house hacking... and you can only imagine the confused look on mainstream agents' faces when I said I wanted to work with house hackers (Who? What???). The brokerage name on the door is less important than the person you work with.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or would like any help/direction!