Investing with a Real Estate License

2 Replies

Hello BP, 

I'm a soon to be real estate agent, I'm planning to start investing soon but with the exam for my license is closing in, I'm realizing that once I obtain my license it's a different game, so I want to know what are the things I should be aware of and how should I go about investing with my license, with that said I only have a couple of questions I want to ask to somebody who is a real estate agent and is investing into real estate; What are the pros and cons when it comes to real estate investing as an agent? Any advice for when I start? Is there any difference at all with having the license or not? I'm sorry if this sounds like a generic and obvious question I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything here, I know there are laws surrounding being an agent I just want to make sure I'm playing the game right. 

@Paul Perez I find a lot of pros of having your license while investing. For one, I get full access to the MLS. This allows me to search thoroughly for deals, which other people may have missed. For example, if a listing is inaccurate and there is actually more sqft than listed. Or using keyword searches to see if it's been listed that the owner is motivated in the description.

Another great advantage is that you have the ability to negotiate directly with the agent / seller. This is huge for a good negotiator.

You just have to make sure that you disclose that you're an agent and the buyer, which sometimes rubs people the wrong way. 

Hope this helps! Best of luck.

@Joe Aiola Thank you Joe! This helps me understand clearer! Also from my understanding disclosing that you’re an agent is the only concern or “disadvantage”as an investor with a license? Or is there more to be aware of.