Real Estate Agent Using Realty In Domain

10 Replies

Hi Everyone,

Just want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules. I just became a real estate agent in New Hampshire under eXp Realty. I am working on creating my website and want to know: am I allowed to use the word Realty in my domain name, if I'm only a salesperson and not a broker? like johnsmithrealty.com as an example?

I appreciate any input!

Thank you,

Kevin Prouty

“Realty” is fine.  You can’t use “Realtor” because it’s a trademarked name.  (It’s officially REALTOR®.)  But questions like this should always be posed to your broker.

Some brokerages have a rule against this because it could lead members of the public to think that you yourself are the brokerage. There may be areas where it's a state rule, in WA the last brokerage I worked for had a specific rule against using 'realty', so check with your brokerage first.

The word 'homes' is safe. Nothing with 'realtor' is OK even if you're a member of NAR.

Promotion
PropStream
Web + D4D Mobile App for you & the team!
Trusted Provider of Real Estate Data, Marketing, Skip Tracing & A
#1 Real Estate Software for Investors, Agents & Brokers to find leads and close deals nationwide.
7 Day Free Trial!
Originally posted by @Kevin Prouty :

@Russell Brazil  Okay so it seems a safer bet would be to use joesmithrealestate.com right? Or is that ending in the same boat as realty?

Yes. Use realestate.com as your ending.  A lot of states are moving toward banning the use of realty in domains, so you will just struggle with that later!

@Kevin Prouty when I first started I tried freebornrealty. My then managing broker told me that my state only allows brokerages to have realty (and a few others) in their names. So we quickly rebranded as freebornhomes. Check with your broker and local mls.