Bankers, Lenders, and Mortgage Brokers

User Stats

Votes

Down Payment Assistance

Posted Jun 19 2022, 21:50

With my apartment lease coming up soon I would like to buy a house. However, with the way housing prices are currently, finding enough money for a down payment has proven to be somewhat of a hurdle. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions that would relate to down payment assistance. From what I can see, using a loan to cover the cost of the down payment can be not the best idea.

I have also been informed about a new California program where CALHFA will give a buyer 10% of the sales price, that can be used for a down payment. If light could be shed on this topic it would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.calhfa.ca.gov/home...

Orange County, California

User Stats

Votes
Erik Browning
  • Lender
  • CA AZ TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • CA AZ TX
Replied Jun 19 2022, 22:34

Hi @Skyler Heimer, sending you a DM. The CALHFA program is quite selective however you still may be able to qualify for it. We can explore your personal situation and see if it's something worth pursuing.

As far as the down payment option goes outside of CALHFA, there are other cheaper and even zero down options - like USDA and VA.

User Stats

Votes
Adeva Edobor
  • Banker
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Banker
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Jun 20 2022, 00:27

@Skyler Heimer Look up Bank of America. I've heard they have a program. I don't personally know anyone who's used it but I've seen a lot of people talk about it on YouTube

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 20 2022, 16:14
Quote from @Adeva Edobor:

@Skyler Heimer Look up Bank of America. I've heard they have a program. I don't personally know anyone who's used it but I've seen a lot of people talk about it on YouTube

Hi I actually went to BOA and if you go on their mortgage website they will show you which properties qualify for their version of downpayment assistance they will give you up to $7,500

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Jun 20 2022, 16:18

Have you considered using one of the PowerBuyer programs?

User Stats

Votes
Robert Reynolds
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 20 2022, 22:05

Your best bet might be the FHA 3.5% down program. Sometimes you can get a loan from your companies retirement or 401k plan. We've been very successful at getting our clients into condos and homes with FHA financing, just make sure that when you look that the condo is an FHA approved building. Your agent should be able to look into that for you or you could check yourself on the FHA website.

Real Estate Agent California (#02166235)

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jun 21 2022, 13:32

@Skyler Heimer- fyi - many lenders offer a conventional loan program that only requires a down payment of 3% of the purchase price ...FHA only requires 3.5% of the price ....there is also USDA loans that require 0 down payment for rural properties and if you are a VET - Va loans require 0 down ...just making sure you were aware as these are all worth exploring before dealing with the down payment assistance programs

User Stats

Votes
David Kelly
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Replied Jun 22 2022, 07:30

@Skyler Heimer

I have a WISH Grant available for up to $22,000 as a forgivable grant.  Its available in 48 states.  Please reach out if you are interested in going over the details.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 26 2022, 21:33
Quote from @Dave Skow:

@Skyler Heimer- fyi - many lenders offer a conventional loan program that only requires a down payment of 3% of the purchase price ...FHA only requires 3.5% of the price ....there is also USDA loans that require 0 down payment for rural properties and if you are a VET - Va loans require 0 down ...just making sure you were aware as these are all worth exploring before dealing with the down payment assistance programs

thank you for the input

User Stats

Votes
Upen Patel
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Replied Jun 28 2022, 08:22

@Skyler Heimer I actually still have FHLB grant funds available (will likely run out soon) and I have a 100% financing FHA program (3.5% down FHA 1st + 2nd to cover the 3.5% down payment).

So there are alternatives. Lets speak.

Lender (#National Lender NMLS 1374243)