Jonathan Blandino
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Apply to MLO job postings help

Jonathan Blandino
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted May 17 2016, 18:52

Hey guys,

Awhile back I received some good advice on here about transitioning into a career as an MLO. I finished my prelicensing hours and I missed my exam by 2-3 questions (honestly not a hard exam I just studied far too much in areas I thought would be more prevalent). I plan to retake immediately after the 30 day waiting period. In the mean time I'm looking at prospective job listing service and most MLO postings require 1-2yrs experience. I found BoA has a transitional position which looks interesting. So I was wondering how strict are they on the experience before hand and does that mean I would have to start as a loan assistant? I honestly am not feeling that (not because the position is beneath me or anything like that) because the pay is low to mid 30s and I have bills to pay lol. Just making this post to see what my options are. As always thanks for any help in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied May 17 2016, 19:03

Instead of looking at job postings, just go walk into offices and start talking to people. 

Re: The $30k. A brand new freshly minted MLO isn't an asset, it's a liability. Six months or so is what it'll take to un-learn you of all that garbage you are studying now, and until then you are a time sink. If you find some folks you click with by just walking into offices, you might be able to beat that $30k/yr. 

Incidentally, that 6-12 months or so is about how long it'll take until you've got the experience to renegotiate comp or strike out on your own and be your own one-man business-within-a-business. 

• Lender California (#1220177)

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Blandino
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied May 17 2016, 19:09

I agree about the initial time period. I currently am still a licensed claims adjuster and my first few months were rough as the nature of the business being thrown into the fire before we finally got a hold of multi jurisdictional regulations, so I definitely get that unfortunate fact. And yeah I haven't considered just going into a brokerage and meeting directly with them. Thank you!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes