Questions about becoming a Loan Officer in Georgia

2 Replies

Would anyone here happen to be a loan officer in Georgia. I looked up the requirements however I wanted to see if I was missing anything besides the NMLS classes.

Also what level of education is usually required?

Associate, Bachelors, or Masters?

I am looking into this career field once I leave the Army. Thank you BP!

Originally posted by @Kavon Hill :

Would anyone here happen to be a loan officer in Georgia. I looked up the requirements however I wanted to see if I was missing anything besides the NMLS classes.

Also what level of education is usually required?

Associate, Bachelors, or Masters?

I am looking into this career field once I leave the Army. Thank you BP!

Hi Kavon,

Georgia would be highly unusual if it had a college degree requirement. That being said, I use college algebra on a daily basis at work. Numeracy is pretty critical, since most of what you do involves numbers. The gov't didn't require college, but the person who hired me into the industry certainly did.

I'd strongly suggest using the post 9/11 GI Bill, and not rushing to find a job or career immediately. It's tax free income to go to school, while everyone else is going six figures into debt for that exact same thing.

Related: Hack your housing using the GI Bill while in college

And it's not like all things real estate are on hold because you're in college, so don't think that. Sam Zell's first real estate deal was while in college. You can also do furnished rental sublets while in college, and I've even heard of college students being leasing agents for fellow students. 

Get online exam website see what it takes. The national one could take as many times. The one for CA has restrictions how many times and what schooling one needs. I guess 2 year college with finance, marketing etc.