Kurt Mace
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Hard money lenders for Buy and Hold properties

Kurt Mace
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Jun 16 2018, 08:04

Hello everyone,

I want to start financing buy and hold investment properties but I am looking for funding. My question is this. How can I use hard money lenders for this type of strategy? My problem with hard money is not the percent in which they take as I find properties with a great return. The problem with the numbers that I see is the timeframe of repayment. 1 to 2 years at even no interest would mean a 50% - 100% return each year. So what would be the best strategy? Are there hard money lenders that lend with longer terms or is there a way to quickly pay off that investor via refi or something else?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
James Holmes
  • Oceanside, CA
Votes |
  • Oceanside, CA
Replied Jun 16 2018, 08:26

Kurt,

Hope you’re having a great weekend so far!

In my short experience, the typical HML I’ve seen generally loan at 25-30% LTV with a note duration of 1-3 years, with the main benefits being a typically fast close and not having to go through a traditional lender for a Fannie/Freddie loan.

As for paying back the note, refinancing to a conventional loan is the way its been suggested to me to repay the loan outside of doing flips. In my opinion, this method is really only beneficial if you’re trying to move fast on a deal/have a better looking offer and have a plan to force equity through rehab into the property.

Hope this helps!

V/r

JT

Account Closed
  • New to Real Estate
  • Teaneck, NJ
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Teaneck, NJ
Replied Jun 18 2018, 08:39

@Kurt Mace You can always refinance out of hard money  loan into a conventional loan.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Sean Blomquist
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Blaine, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Blaine, MN
Replied Jun 18 2018, 09:08

@Kurt Mace you are looking at it as though the HML is the only financier. You are only using the HML to acquire and rehab the property. Once the rehab is done, you've built the equity into the property with the rehab, so you can work with a lender to do a rate and term refinance into a long term loan to hold and cashflow. Typically you will want to work with a direct to FNMA lender that doesn't have any overlays, but smaller community banks or credit unions that service their own loans could work as well. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Jun 18 2018, 09:54
Originally posted by @Sean Blomquist:

@Kurt Mace you are looking at it as though the HML is the only financier. You are only using the HML to acquire and rehab the property. Once the rehab is done, you've built the equity into the property with the rehab, so you can work with a lender to do a rate and term refinance into a long term loan to hold and cashflow. Typically you will want to work with a direct to FNMA lender that doesn't have any overlays, but smaller community banks or credit unions that service their own loans could work as well. Good luck!

EXACTLY and get pre approved before you count on it.. this is how buyers used to take me out of my HML back in the gogo days of pre 08