• Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Hey what do you guys /gals think of this for real or a scam

Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Posted Mar 19 2019, 14:42

seems suspicious.   earlier today I got a FAUX e mail from A FAUX closing attorney wanting me to wire in multi thousands for a closing that was a fake.  I mean someone must be falling for this stuff

Hi Jay,

Im Fresh out of college and I m currently looking for a breakthrough into the real estate world I am interning at Eastern Union Funding Do you have any deals in your pipline which require a million dollar **** or more Please let me know so I can get a crack at it

thanks

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#3 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Mar 21 2019, 05:42

I want steak and eggs and some OJ right now. Gil, do for me and I'll do for you...WTF?

User Stats

Votes
Gil N.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Poughkeepsie, NY
Votes |
  • Poughkeepsie, NY
Replied Mar 21 2019, 05:50
Originally posted by @Jim K.:

I want steak and eggs and some OJ right now. Gil, do for me and I'll do for you...WTF?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Gil N.
  • Poughkeepsie, NY
Votes |
  • Poughkeepsie, NY
Replied Mar 21 2019, 05:51

Don't understand what you mean. So WTF

User Stats

Votes
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Mar 21 2019, 06:00

Oh, I see. Sorry, Gil, I didn't recognize the gravity of the situation. If I wanted to read about your 9 cap deal, I would have gone to a thread devoted to that instead of possible scam messages from Eastern Union Funding, which I have also received. I have exactly zero interest in your 9 cap deal. Why am I reading about it here on this thread?

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Mar 21 2019, 06:22
Originally posted by @Chris Purcell:
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

seems suspicious.   earlier today I got a FAUX e mail from A FAUX closing attorney wanting me to wire in multi thousands for a closing that was a fake.  I mean someone must be falling for this stuff

Hi Jay,

Im Fresh out of college and I m currently looking for a breakthrough into the real estate world I am interning at Eastern Union Funding Do you have any deals in your pipline which require a million dollar **** or more Please let me know so I can get a crack at it

thanks

So they are a fake title company chasing wire deposits?

exactly only this one was in the name of a law firm.. at least in the e mail address. there was no name or address in the sig line just a phone number and name of an escrow officer.

which is another dead give away..  closings attorneys on the east coast don't HAVE escrow officers..  And Escrow officer is one that works for a title and escrow company in states that are not attorney closing states .. and they function as an attorney..  

User Stats

Votes
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Mar 21 2019, 06:24

I got the same kind of message. Do you have any million-dollar deals in the works? Interning at Eastern Union Funding, make me or break me. The last shack I bought was for $25K cash from a dude getting his mom out of the place and putting her in a home. You gotta wonder.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Ploszay
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Mar 21 2019, 06:31

Those Nigerian scams seem to be tapering off a bit.  Used to get those emails more frequently.  

A local scam that happened to me recently is someone took my vacant property and tried to rent it out on Craigslist.  They wanted to rent it cheap and of course collect security and first month's rent.  They even re-keyed my property!   

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Mar 21 2019, 06:37
Originally posted by @Brian Ploszay:

Those Nigerian scams seem to be tapering off a bit.  Used to get those emails more frequently.  

A local scam that happened to me recently is someone took my vacant property and tried to rent it out on Craigslist.  They wanted to rent it cheap and of course collect security and first month's rent.  They even re-keyed my property!   

craigslist rent scams are a live and well on the west coast .. quite common. And really so sad for those looking for a place to live think they got this great deal wire or western union 1000 bucks or so only to just lose it..  and U know most of those folks that a loss that will set them back..  what is it with these scammers..  

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Mar 21 2019, 08:43

I got a txt recently from a close business associate......he was at a show in Vegas and was sponsoring a contest with our distributors, he was with a roomfull of people and asked if I could help out. 

I had already caught on and said 'sure, anything you need'. 

The pretender then asked me to get him twenty 100 dollar itunes gift cards to distribute to the lucky winners and he would reimburse me as soon as the conference was over.

I said I understood and asked him for the details.

The txt'er provided whatever it was and I responded that I had a tough day and would get right on it as soon as I was finished with my nap.

I could feel the frustration in his response 'may I know when you will be awake from you nap?'

I did not respond further, and did not hear from them again. 

Someone had taken over my associate's cell phone and texted me to get 2k worth of Itunes gift cards which seemingly are easily converted to cash. 

Not a large rip-off attempt by any means; but a reminder that Scammers are everywhere!

User Stats

Votes
Nancy P.
  • Naperville, IL
Votes |
  • Naperville, IL
Replied Mar 21 2019, 10:21

Here in Germany where rentals are tight there is a huge scam of "wire me the 1st month/security before you see it, if you don't like it I'll wire it right back".  Desperate folks fall for it every day.  Constant media reminders here that if the money is getting sent to India....probably not legit.

User Stats

Votes
David Nutakor
Pro Member
  • Palmdale, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Palmdale, CA
Replied Mar 21 2019, 16:11

@Linda D. Excellent response. This guy has no idea about Africa and therefore ended up making a very unfortunate comment about the whole continent. Everybody needs a little bit of geography lesson.

User Stats

Votes
Gil N.
  • Poughkeepsie, NY
Votes |
  • Poughkeepsie, NY
Replied Dec 10 2019, 23:16

Hey jimmy k just read your reply. I made a Mistake posting here get over it. Your a pompous jackass. There are better ways of pointing this out. The world revolves around jimmy

You gotta take the good with the bad I guess. I thought BP was a community of like minded people trying to help each-other especially beginners. Im sure you have helped along the way ( i hope) but i feel bad for someone who asked you for anything since your dribble ridden advice is so important   Ans in response to your future garbage FUPOS