Lender Increased Seasoning Period

4 Replies

Hey everyone!

I purchased my first property 2 months ago. Things have been going great so far. The tenant was already in place, rent was at market price and with zero rehab I have 50% equity. This property was purchased from another investor that was looking to get into storage units. I used a local bank with 20% down and was told 2-4 payments would be my seasoning period. I reached out to ask about using my equity to continue and his response was now 6 months for the seasoning.

I know this is not a get rich quick game and I am definitely learning from my mistakes but here is where I am at. I have started creating my team and systems so yesterday my realtor informed me of some listings that were not listed yet (coolest thing that’s happened so far) but I need to tap into that equity or look into hard money. So would it be unethical for me to go to another local bank and refinance/transfer the loan to them? Just need some advice on this and maybe some options. Thanks everyone and I look forward to the comments.

@Ron West there is nothing unethical about shopping lenders. Granted I prefer my clients didn’t so I can keep business, but sometimes I’m just not a good fit for everyone. If they can’t give you what they want then find someone who will.

What state are these properties in and what value?

Originally posted by @Ron West :

Hey everyone!

I purchased my first property 2 months ago. Things have been going great so far. The tenant was already in place, rent was at market price and with zero rehab I have 50% equity. This property was purchased from another investor that was looking to get into storage units. I used a local bank with 20% down and was told 2-4 payments would be my seasoning period. I reached out to ask about using my equity to continue and his response was now 6 months for the seasoning.

I know this is not a get rich quick game and I am definitely learning from my mistakes but here is where I am at. I have started creating my team and systems so yesterday my realtor informed me of some listings that were not listed yet (coolest thing that’s happened so far) but I need to tap into that equity or look into hard money. So would it be unethical for me to go to another local bank and refinance/transfer the loan to them? Just need some advice on this and maybe some options. Thanks everyone and I look forward to the comments.

There are portfolio lenders/brokers that will charge you more than a conventional loan, but won't make you wait the traditional minimum of 6 months (there are no seasoning 3 month seasoning options).  The conventional money is cheaper.  The portfolio money is faster.  Your call.

 

Thanks for the feedback! I have decided to reach out to some local portfolio lenders and see if I can work something out. It seems like either path is fine so we will see what happens. 

@Aaron K. Thanks! I want to get better clarity on the seasoning period from the next lender. The properties are C class but the numbers work and the BRRRR potential is there. The goal is to build my way up but currently I am just working with what I have.

@Nicholas Covington I do value building business relationships which is why its challenging for me to consider going with someone else but I think your right. If they can give me what I am looking for maybe someone else can. I am working in Southwest Georgia. We have a lot of smaller towns with property values from 40K to 200s. It really depends on what city you are dealing with and what school district in the bigger cities. I live here so it help with the market.

@Stephanie P. Thanks! For the home prices I am targeting a lot most conventional loans wont work with me. But the numbers still work on the portfolio loans and it is much faster. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here