BRRHELOCR? Doesn't really roll of the tongue..

9 Replies

MMMMHHHHMMM Success story...

I love the BRRRR strategy, I threw in a little of my own flavor thanks to @Cain Wright . Instead of refinancing it, I will be getting a line of credit on it to use when I please. 

Buy - 65k Thanks @Mark Turney for wholesaling it to me, always love working with you and Steph. 

Repairs - 10,734 (ran into a couple problems, so I'll take it)

Rent - 940/mo (first person I showed it to)

Got a line of credit so I can repeat!

Only a limited amount of photos. I need to get better at documenting stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/pudCj

I like doing this as well. You get to keep the same amount of cash flow on property #1, same rate and you're still paying down your principal. Meanwhile, the HELOC you use to buy property #2 gets paid off from the cash flow of property #2. You obviously have to watch rates rising (mine has gone up 1.25 points since I have used it).

I did this strategy 22 months ago. I am making my last payment tomorrow actually and the great thing is now I can use the HELOC again without going through the time and paper work of a CORF.

@Steve K.

This is new to me, so not that much real data only head data. I actually only re-fi at a local bank so my terms are going to be terrible compared to yours. I would love to refi onto a 30 year fixed. 

I don't think you are missing anything, just a different strategy. 

One of the reasons why I thought this would be a good strategy for me personally was that, the first time I re-fi'd the chunk of money sat in my bank account for 4months at little to no interest.. no point for it to sit there when I was looking for the next deal. So I decided to keep it all in the house, then when I find a new deal, use the HELOC to then purchase the next house.

Originally posted by @Steve K. :

I just cashed out refi my latest BRRRR with 4.25% APR, fixed 30 yrs. @Deren Huang or @Peter T., other than the flexibility to draw/deposti/draw at will, why do you like the HELOC instead of the 30yr fixed? Am I missing something?

thanks

Flexibility to draw is the biggest one IMO. I can use it multiple times before it ends, also it looks much better on my DTI ratios that I have an interest only payment for 5-15 years whereas the CORF increases my debt side of that equation. Sometimes refinance can be good and sometimes HELOC is good. Depends on your strategy for each property. I rather keep my current cash flow and just have a HELOC that gets paid down rapidly vs increase my current cash flow for cash I can only use once (yes I know you can use that cash multiple times through multiple refi's).

It doens't need to roll off the tongue if it works. Pictures look great, well done!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you