Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tiago Faria
  • Investor
  • Dublin, County Dublin
Votes |
My First Deal: Turnkey Studio Duplex in Portugal

Tiago Faria
  • Investor
  • Dublin, County Dublin
Posted Sep 11 2017, 06:01

BP mastermind,

I wanted to share the story of my very first deal. It's not the best deal ever, but I had to start somewhere after 6 months learning the theory (a lot thanks to BiggerPockets's mantra of taking action and learning by doing).

As a background, I'm Portuguese and am living and working in Ireland for the past 6 years. Working in the tech industry, I was able to save enough money (initially planned to buy a home for myself, but after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad the goal obviously changed) for my first investment.

After analyzing the potential markets to invest (Ireland, UK, and Portugal), I came to the conclusion that Portugal was the best choice. Not only because I had the connections and market knowledge, but also because it's a much cheaper market.

So I went ahead and connected with a local investor through online search (unfortunately there are not many Portuguese in BiggerPockets). He was investing in a little town called Covilhã, and told me all about the region. It is one of the best regions to invest in buy-and-hold due to it's low acquisition costs and relatively high rents (large University and housing shortage). 

After weeks working on the relationship, we agreed that he would wholesale me some deals. Adding to this, he was working with a property management company that leases properties for long term, and then rents out to students. This was the perfect combination for someone investing from abroad.

So the first deal was a newly refurbished 2 studio apartment building, right next to the local University. I bought it all cash, and below you'll see the details:

List Price: $60,000

Purchase Price: $51,500

Wholesale fee: $4,000

Closing costs: $1,083

Gross Rent/Month: $300

Lease term: 10 years

CoC Return: 6.4%

Again, not the most attractive numbers, but the tradeoff is that the property management company will deal with tenants and maintenance, and I'll have constant flow of cash for the next 10 years. The only risk is if the company goes bankrupt (which in case I would then start self-managing), and the only costs I'll have to cover are potential structural damages (which would most likely be covered by insurance).

Another plus side of having invested all cash, is that I will have potential access to lines of credit both for home equity (up to 70% of home equity), AND for future guaranteed rents (up to 60% of total 10 year rent roll).

Already planning on the next property using the same strategy, but this time with traditional financing (looking for 100% mortgage). Will update you guys soon!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, and if you ever structured deals in a similar way.

Cheers!

Loading replies...