Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Oliver Trojahn
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
First Deal Complete working on Second

Oliver Trojahn
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Dec 28 2010, 07:20

I thought I would share my first deal with the community and give props to bigger pockets for all the great real estate advice that can be found throughout this entire website. I have been reading these forums for 2 years and finally pulled the trigger. It truly is the the best information imaginable. Thanks!

Deal completed on December 1st, 2010:
Townhome (REO) - 3 bed, 1.5 bath, 2 Car Garage
Purchase Price: 38,800, Repairs = 7,000 (This includes a new roof, siding, and a furnace)
Total investment = $45,800
Rented at $850 a month on a 2 year lease.
We financed this conventionally for 30 years @ 4.875
Comparable sales in the area for the same townhome range from 65,000 to 85,000. Majority sell within the 70's range.

50 Percent Rule Breakdown:
P/I = $45,800 @ 4.875 = $243 a month
Expenses = $850/2 = $425
Monthly Cashflow = $182

Note: It took a little time to find this deal as the location is in a very nice suburb of Kansas City where 50 percent rule deals are very hard to come by. I could have bought a rental in the city core and met the 3-4% rule! however, I would like appreciation and manage my investments on my own without fearing for my life (just thought I would throw that in there).

Second Opportunity:
A townhome connected to the one we just purchased just got listed on the HUD website for $44,000. However, it is only available to owner occupants until this Friday. I have private funding lined up to put a cash offer on this townhome as well. It has the same characteristics as the the first townhome we purchased (3 bed, 1.5 bath, 2 Car Garage). However, this one doesn't need much in repairs besides cosmetics. I would like to go in at 35k for this one. I think the listing price of $44,000 from HUD is based on the most recent sale in that community (my purchase right next door) of $38,600 which was a REO Foreclosure. I think they listed it pretty low for the area, there mistake is my benefit! I spoke with the HUD agent and they said they think there was a owner occupant bid on the property so I may not be able to even bid on it. I will keep everyone posted on what happens.

My plan for this property is to fund with private funding and then refinance to a conventional in 6 months.

Thank to all who post on this website and provided me with great insights and information. All feedback to greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...