Contractor Work Schedule

4 Replies

Hello All, 

Just had a quick question about the average contractor work schedule. Do most GC's agree to work 7 days a week until the job is complete, or is it common place to have the weekends off where no work is being completed? The reason i ask is because we were driving around some of our prospective neighborhoods on the weekends (Driving for Dollars) and saw some properties that were obviously being worked on, but no one was on the job site. 

I feel that everyday would be critical in getting the job done in a timely manner, but was curious how it actually works when doing a rehab with a GC. 

Thanks

I am sure it varies based on the area, Craig. The contractors I have dealt with here in Connecticut typically work Monday-Saturday. Have not come across any that work 7 days a week.

Although if you have GC subcontracting out all of the work it would definitely be possible to have people there 7 days a week. For instance, let's say you have a carpet guy that your GC uses that has a 9-5 during the week and does carpet on the weekends, etc..

Hi Craig

Every GC will be different. On a project I'm working on right now, my ask is that my GC has the project completed in 30 days. He signed and we're underway. I don't care if he works 4 days per week at 12 hours per day, or 7 days a week at 5 hours per day, as long as the scope of work is all done in 30 days.

Craig - I have had some contractors that I know worked 7 days and others who I wonder whether they even got in 4. Since the contractors are independent contractors, we cannot set their work hours. However, we can agree to contracts that have penalties for finishing late and/or bonuses for finishing early. Doing so, provides financial incentives for them to work as much as is required to complete the project on the schedules we want.

As a contractor myself I only work 5 days a week.

Before the project gets underway or even before the contracts are signed I provide an inception date and a completion date (required by PA law). I base these dates on a five day work week. I know of other contractors that work every day. That's not for me or my employees.

I have an active family and other interests myself. I have never missed a little league game and I spend my share of time with my flyrod.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here