forms that need to be exchanged between a investor and contractor

10 Replies

Good Evening from Dallas, TX

I was building of list of documents that I need to have my contractor sign.  This is my first rehab so this is what I am coming up so far.


Scope of work

Warranty of the work that is completed.

Any additional documents or links to such documents would be appreciated.

Maybe come up with some type of draw schedule stating that the draws are broken out into a minimum of 3-4 different payments and regardless the final 20% due will not be provided until the job is 100% completed and inspected. 

A certificate of insurance is something that the contractor should have their insurer provide to you durectly, with you being named as certificate holder. Do not accept a certificate from the contractor, only from the insurer / agent.

@James Palin   you are looking for a home improvement contract, you can have this at your local office supply store like staples or officemax or a simple google search might do it, but pre-printed forms are safe enough, as for google search, you never know if its fit for the maker or not (i.e. Also you need their w9, copy of insurances CGL and Work Comp, be sure to check your due diligence and check with TX CSLB and ensure that the person signing the contract is authorized personnel that is registered with the Contractor State License Board, if you could not find their name, dont do transaction with them. If they are not registered, have a notarized authorization form that they could sign documents pertaining to your project. Good Luck.

@James Palin  you want to get a lien waiver before making final payment, not only to echo the insurance and additional inusred, but make sure of workers comp. Finally make sure your contract address things that arise out of scope of work and change orders. Be sure to follow these as if something goes wrong your contract will be tested. 

The AIA has a killer contract like these so see if you have an architect you can ask. The above are all right on. I would add to Jeremy's comment to get not only final but partial lien waivers at each payment to protect you and your property from the contractors and their subs from filing against you for their missed payments. Most any title company can give you these docs. 

@James Palin I agree with Jim Gramata about the AIA contracts. Many of the contracts have been around for over 120 years and have been updated to protect all parties. You don't need to go through an architect to purchase. You can buy directly on You might want to take a look at document A201-2007 General conditions, A105-2007 Owner/Contractor agreement for small residential projects and G706A contractors affidavit of release of liens.  I would check with your attorney which documents work best for you.  Good luck on the project!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here