Steps to Becoming a Licensed Home Inspector?

3 Replies

Steps to Becoming a Licensed Home Inspector? So i was looking around some websites and i found a few things.

However, i thought it is best to ask the BP Community's  input.

I am Based in NYC ( i travel to Long Island and some rare times Upstate NY )

I know if  i want to pursue this field of choice, a few things will be required of me such as:

E & O /G L insurance

take the 5 module course (140 hours here in NYS)

tools of the trade $600

possible set up of an LLC

Business Clothing Apparel/Business Materials ; Business Cards, Heavy self promotion

my questions are as follows for those professionals in the industry;

Is this an Independent self employed Business?

Can you work for a Company?

Any Advice for a Novice?

Any Schools you advise i check out?

Call a home inspector in your local area and ask him to do a ride-along, and that you are interested in pursuing a career.  Each state is different, in that some require licensing and some don't.  

If you ask a few local guys, I am sure that you will be able to find  mentor in this regards.  Most guys that love the profession will go out of there way to get someone new started.  If the first 2-3 tell you to get lost, keep calling around until you get one that will help you.

Where do you find a good list of local guys?  Ask 3-4 local realtors.  They will tell you the good ones and bad ones.

Originally posted by @Jimmy Wilson :

Call a home inspector in your local area and ask him to do a ride-along, and that you are interested in pursuing a career.  Each state is different, in that some require licensing and some don't.  

If you ask a few local guys, I am sure that you will be able to find  mentor in this regards.  Most guys that love the profession will go out of there way to get someone new started.  If the first 2-3 tell you to get lost, keep calling around until you get one that will help you.

Where do you find a good list of local guys?  Ask 3-4 local realtors.  They will tell you the good ones and bad ones.

Jimmy thank you for your input.....

I am not at the mentor stage. I am more into finalizing my school choice and taking it from there. 

A mentor would be outstanding but I tend to take the pace of crawl before you can walk....

My Real Estate School the one I went to / to become a  Real Estate Agent/Realtor. Is not offering the course at the moment.

This post has been removed.

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide