Skip to content
Contractors

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
Contractor liable for charge Property Manager makes to Owner....Yes/No?

Daria B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gainesville, FL
Posted Jun 21 2015, 15:21

Hello and good Sunday to all of you:

I was not sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong section please let me know.

I am going to be having a contractor remodel my rental for the kitchen and bath and do some flooring. Nothing is being "redesigned", cabinets come out and new cabinets and counter (new) go in the same place as will be the bath. Tile comes out and a surround 3-piece goes in along with toilet and vanity and sink and likely new tub. Flooring throughout both rooms in addition to a powder room and the entrance foyer. Not replacing appliances either since they are new.

While this work is going on it will be vacant. Waiting for the tenant to move, if they do then this work will comence.

With that said, I pondered this evening on just getting through the process and thought to myself, "what happens after"? I will be inspecting but as we know things always seem to happen "after" we walk through. Well maybe not always, but there is a chance.

The work will be warrantied so if there is a problem there shouldn't be any issue with getting them back out to address the issue.

I do have a PM that will charge every time they go over to do something so likely, because I am not local, they will have to go over if the new tenant reports an issue in any of these areas that are being "touched". 

Now, if the tenant does report something out of balance with any of these "remodeled" areas to the PM (and I am going to tell them if they do get a call to let me know because this work will be warrantied), and, in the case that the contractor needs to get in while the tenant is not there, the PM will have to go over to let them in to address the issue. 

""Most" times in my experience, the tenant makes arrangements with the contractor to address the issue.

My question: has anyone had this experience and if so, if your PM does charge per visit, should the contractor pay for the PMs visit?

Thinking a lot on this and I keep coming up with "no" because the work is being warrantied so they have to address it without further cost to me. And because the PM charges me, the contractor shouldn't be held for that cost.

But I'd like to hear from others that may have been in this situation and what the outcome was.

Much appreciated....have a great Sunday....

Loading replies...