Architect in Columbus Ohio

Architect in Columbus Ohio

Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 15 votes

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have a reference for an architect in Columbus? 

I am looking at the possibility of having a duplex rezoned as a triplex. I met with the city and discussed the process for the conversion. The first major step is determining if it will pass the building inspection if it is rezoned or how much it will cost to meet code.

Thanks,

Ben

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Dublin, OH · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 40 votes
11y

You should call Heidi Bolyard at Simplified Living Architecture + Design. She would be able to tell you what she can do and recommend an engineer if that's necessary.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2012 · 181 posts · 51 votes
    11y

    Hmm, the city said you should meet with an architect or an engineer?

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 15 votes
    11y

    @steve,

    The zoning department told me just to complete the application for the zoning and variances.

    I then met with someone from residential building. They said if the lot is rezoned, it still has to pass building code to receive the certificate of occupancy. The current space I want to convert is considered attic space. They said I have to show that it can withstand the appropriate weight per square foot and has proper support. They recommended and architect.

  • Architect · Tell City, IN · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Benjamin,  I think you'll need a structural engineer to sign off on that specific weight related issue.  An architect could help you the rest of the project: design, drawings, zoning information, consultant coordination (including working with a structural engineer), etc.  Depends on what you really need the professional to do at this time.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dublin, OH · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    You should call Heidi Bolyard at Simplified Living Architecture + Design. She would be able to tell you what she can do and recommend an engineer if that's necessary.

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2011 · 47 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Benjamin Von Blon did you ever find a good architect in Columbus?

    we have a single family 2 bedroom rental property, and are looking to convert a 3rd floor attic space into a 3rd bedroom.  we would need a staircase installed for proper access, and probably an egress window, and whatever else a bedroom would require.

    @Steve Baldwin/@Corey Liepelt maybe you more experienced guys would know: do we want to consult with an architect, an engineer, someone from city zoning, a general contractor--or all of the above??

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dublin, OH · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    As long as you're just adding a third bedroom and not trying to create a separate rental unit, you don't need to worry about zoning. I'd start with a consultation with an architect and go from there. They may want an engineer to be involved as well - it depends on the existing structure and what it takes to add the staircase and egress. Once you have the plans, then you'll need to find a contractor. However, start with the architect and see if it's even worth doing. As I said above, I'd recommend calling Heidi Bolyard. She'll take good care of you.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    I'm a registered architect. Though, I am not doing much 3rd party work, I'm happy to help if you ever have a quick question or want to bounce an idea off of someone. Feel free to PM me. 

  • Beloit, OH · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    http://www.msconsultants.com/services/

    a person I knew from highschool got hired here about a year ago....never used them before, not endorsing them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.