Connecticut Contractors Where are you?

Connecticut Contractors Where are you?

Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes

I am working on closing my first buy and hold property and have found that getting a good contractor is close to impossible. I wanted to know what tips people have to finding a contractor. I have used Thumbtack, Angieslist, and at this point I am just about ready to get my own general contractor's license and hire people to do the work my self. 

0Reply
22 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Melissa Gittens What feedback are you getting from the contractors you reached out to?

  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    10y

    @Michael Noto the job is too small, they would suggest hiring a handyman however when you have a 203k loan it has to be a general contractor. The job is a 20-30K job I don't see how that would be a small job. majority of the work is painting, windows, and electrical 

  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    10y

    @Michael Noto most of the contractors are builders so my assumption is that's the reason why they don't want to or can't take on the job.

  • Investor · Corona, CA · Member since 2014 · 746 posts · 372 votes
    10y

    Can you get separate quotes from a paint company? Window installation company? Electrical company?

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Melissa Gittens Does your lender have recommendations on possible GC's?

    I have had clients who have gotten 203k financing and have always gotten general contractor recommendations from their lender.

    I am going to look into this a little bit for you and see if I can get some names.

  • Middletown, CT · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    For a "buillder" that will be too small a job.  

    You want to find a remodeling contractor - or a good carpenter who can connect you to other trades as needed.

    You might try calling the supply houses in the area where you need the work done, and asking who they recommend.  The smaller, more personal suppliers will be able to give you more specific feedback than the big box stores.

    Good luck! Finding the right help is 90% of the battle. 

  • Investor · Wethersfield, CT · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    I have a great builder/remodel contractor. He is out of Bristol, so I'm not sure if your area would work out. I guess it would probably depend on his schedule. Let me know if you would like his contact information. Good luck either way.
  • Long Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    The cooperative I head up has a general contractor in the area specializing in rehab - please send me a message if you’re still looking.

  • Developer · Chatham MA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Hi Melissa, If you contact me via Private Message I will be happy provide a name for you. Mark Zippo
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.