how much house can I build on land

19 Replies

I am looking to flip this home how ever the lot size is 3400 sqft. The home that sits there right now is 775 sqft, very small! It is a 2 bed 1 bath. My plan is to add 500 sqft to it and a 500 sqft garage which amounts to 1775 sqft total structurally. So the question is can I put this much square footage on a lot this size? I will check with the cities building division as well how ever just wanted to get the thoughts of my fellow BP'ers first. Thanks guys i look forward to your responses.

It is impossible to answer it is all about set backs and zoning 

@Steven Picker  

this is what i found as far as zoning?? for that city.

Zoning ClassificationUse Classification
R-1aOne Family Dwelling
R-1bOne Family Dwelling
R-1cOne Family Dwelling

@Varinder Kumar

As long as you stay within the setbacks and easements, the sq footage you are trying to do based on the lot size is pretty reasonable, so it should be doable.

Hehe. You can build up two more stories and you might not have issues on setbacks.
Of course, that's a joke.

@Varinder Kumar , no one can easily answer that question for you. Every site and zoning is a little different. For example, in Apex, NC downtown we can only utilize 60% of our land, and cannot be two stories unless there is a house within 2 homes that is already two stories. However, in Wendell they don't have any restriction like that, it's basically as much as we want so long as we are 10ft from the edge of our property.

So, the best advise is to go to your town hall, the town zoning and ask them. Good luck!

Setback requirements, impermeable surface limits and stormwater mitigation are at least 3 things to watch out for.  Your city can tell you the requirements.

Check to see if any variances or easements were granted on the property.  They will also affect what you can do with it.  Watch out for floodplains and steep slopes (can't build in 'em - check w/city!).

Jim.

@Varinder Kumar Nah, don't waste your time on it. 3k lot is too small. but here you go. http://www.permitla.org/PS/index.cfm

Originally posted by @Manolo D. :

Hehe. You can build up two more stories and you might not have issues on setbacks.
Of course, that's a joke.

You could end up with a 4k SF house on a 3k SF lot :) That's the kind of stuff you see at the beach, which is precisely why they have height requirements as well as set backs ... well, that and obstructing those water views.

As a side note, I never liked this type of arrangement as a buy and hold guy ... not only does it look like the RE equivalent of a "clown car" but over the long term, the real value is in the dirt, not the building ... the building is the part that depreciates while the dirt is the part that appreciates (if it is well located, anyhow). So long as you can get your price and there is a strong market for it, though, a flipper or developer doesn't care, which is why you see them building these "clown cars" sometimes, but it is usually at the beach where there is very expensive dirt ...

@David Faulkner Haha, that reminds me of one "lot" that's shaped as a very obtuse triangle. Someone tried to sell it with a drawing of a 500 sf first floor and 800 sf second floor, and yes, one room is hanging over the exterior wall. haha. I find the owner of the lot or seller stupid to buy the lot in the first place (even how cheap it was), but I find it that the buyer will be much more dumber than the seller if the land is bought. Been on market for a couple of months, nobody still biting. Being an engineer, I could imagine how difficult, well, maybe not that factor, how expensive it will be to build that. hehe.

Originally posted by @Varinder Kumar :

I am looking to flip this home how ever the lot size is 3400 sqft. The home that sits there right now is 775 sqft, very small! It is a 2 bed 1 bath. My plan is to add 500 sqft to it and a 500 sqft garage which amounts to 1775 sqft total structurally. So the question is can I put this much square footage on a lot this size? I will check with the cities building division as well how ever just wanted to get the thoughts of my fellow BP'ers first. Thanks guys i look forward to your responses.

The answer to your question is on the city website. The planning department. You can try to search the city ordinates. Each city is different. I can give you an example.

Here in Hayward, You can use up to 40 percent of the lot. The lots has to be minimum of 5000 sqft. Most homes are about 1000sqft. So technical I can add on another 1000sqft.

But wait there are other thing you need to consider. There is a front set back of 25ft, and rear set back of 15 for the main unit. Then you need 5ft set back on both sides.

The answer to your question is on the city website in the planning dept. 

My opinion your lot is too small.

@Taye N. Thanks Taye, I am going to call the city tomorrow and find out exactly what it is i can do.  From the way the property is right now the back wall of home is not 5 feet away from the alley on the other side its more like 2 feet away from it and its divided by a fence. Ill keep respond again to you tomorrow to let you know what they said. thanks again!

@Varinder Kumar

Alot of homes do not have 5ft setback. They have 3ft set which is done back in the old days. If it looks like 2ft then the fence is most likely not at the property line and is off. You need to hire a surveyor to get a more accurate look of the property line.

From experience 3ft is usually right on. Don't measure from the fence because it could be wrong.

You could have a 0 setback. Build a firewall.

@Manolo D. It is possible with accessory unit but not part of the main structure.

The planning department will not approve your plans.

3ft set back is grandfathered and anything new will need to have 5ft.

Some cities will allow you to match the 3ft setback.

@Varinder Kumar Hehe, better if you ask the bldg dept. Sorry but I'm not going to do your research for you.
@Taye N. Not saying you are wrong or you are right, all I can say is i've seen it happen. I'm pretty sure you can find some examples in SF houses too.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.