Most Reliable Hot Water Boiler

4 Replies

I purchased a 12-unit building and I need to replace the boiler.  One contractor recommended a 410,000 BTU Burnham boiler.  He claims that's the best value for the money and it will last for a long time if properly maintained.  Another contractor only recommends Peerless.  I plan on keeping the property for the long run.  Does anyone have any experience with boilers?  What brand is most reliable and durable?  

I'd go with a viessman. German made. They are on the more expensive end of boilers but you absolutely get what you pay for. I'm a journey plumber gasfitter and refrigeration mechanic apprentice so I'm come from experience. I've worked for a company that put in about 50 mid range boilers over the course of a few short years and spent about 50% of my time just trying to get them to limp along in the winter. Unless you have a strict maintenance schedule I wouldn't settle for anything but top quality products. Look into warranties the companies provide aswell. 

But if you can't find a company familiar with them use a company that doesn'tbjust do installs. Try and get one that has experienced service techs aswell. They will understand the systems better. It's also very important to get a brand of boiler that has reps in the area that can do a full proper startup and programming on the system. That way in the future if there are very difficult issues they may be able to assist. Ibc would be my second pick. 

Originally posted by @Justin Rivet :

I'd go with a viessman. German made. They are on the more expensive end of boilers but you absolutely get what you pay for. I'm a journey plumber gasfitter and refrigeration mechanic apprentice so I'm come from experience. I've worked for a company that put in about 50 mid range boilers over the course of a few short years and spent about 50% of my time just trying to get them to limp along in the winter. Unless you have a strict maintenance schedule I wouldn't settle for anything but top quality products. Look into warranties the companies provide aswell. 

Something else must be wrong with that companies installs.  Boilers are one of those things no matter what brand if they are installed right they just run and run for decades.  

The most important question, what kind of radiators?  If just fin and tube baseboard get a basic a cast iron boiler from say weil mclain. 

If you have cast iron or convection radiators go with a modular condensing boiler or two from say rinnai.  Should save you quite a bit on gas over the years.  Even with the higher maintenance costs of the mod con.  Brand is important on these but the installer is even more important than brand, they have to be installed right.

Good information! If they can't have a rep to come or to do a proper startup and programming run for the hills I believe that may have been what was causing most of the problems. They would also pick up on small things installers may overlook.