New roof - Licensed GC neccessary?

3 Replies

I've flipped a dozen houses but no longer have my original go to roofer. I'm getting bids from GC's (example: $6400, $6500) and found another guy off of facebook for $5400 (supposedly insured).

My question - do you think its worthwhile to get someone who is licensed (and pay the extra $1000 - piece of mind) or try some of these other guys off of facebook, craigslist, etc (WITH the assumption that their references and insurance checks out).

The last thing I want to do is skip out on what is probably the most important expense for a home to save $1000. What if there is a leak? It's probably hard to go after someone who isn't licensed?

I'm just curious as to what others do.

Thanks,

@Drew Denham I think if you read your own post you'll find you subconsciously answered your question. $1000 on a roof from a reputable company vs tracking down some one if things go wrong... not something I would want to spend time/energy/money on. 

"The last thing I want to do is skip out on what is probably the most important expense for a home to save $1000. What if there is a leak? It's probably hard to go after someone who isn't licensed?"

Best of luck and keep at it!

Make sure you do your due diligence. Check references, insurance etc. Personally I'd be nervous. Why is he $1000k less? Are you sure he's bidding the same materials?   

Let me ask this: How are you going to hold a non licensed contractor accountable IF something happens? At least with a real business they have a location you can go to, they have a reputation that's worth something (in theory). 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.