Would you remodel a 600 sq ft shed in your backyard?

Would you remodel a 600 sq ft shed in your backyard?

Investor · South San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 4 votes

Hi Everyone,

I have a 600 sq ft shed (build by the previous owner with permits) sitting in my backyard right now. It has a new roof, basic framing, and electricity, no plumbing though. Right now it's just used as storage and I feel like it's going to waste and the space could be used to generate income. It is attached to a one car garage with a wall and door, and sits about 5-6 feet from the back wall of my house. My idea is to turn it into something like a 2bd 2ba, with shared kitchen and living space, and either renting it out, or do airbnb.

I've never done any type of major remodeling or construction before:

-Getting the entire project permitted by the city. Where would I start? Do i need to hire a designer to submit specs?

-Do I need to change the zoning from R1 to R2? What's the likelihood I'll be successful here, or will this be a showstopper?

-What's the best way to begin taking action here? I don't have any relationships with contractors, do I just start on Yelp?

-What else should I think about, and would this be a project worth undertaking, why or why not?

I'd be happy to clarify any details I may have missed. Thanks everyone in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Thanks,

Jeff 

0Reply
35 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2015 · 241 posts · 132 votes
    8y
    That’s a whole bunch of questions and most could be answered with more research. I live in what you described, I just completed one that I rent and I’m working to get another one ready for Airbnb. I’m not an attorney and don’t give legal advise, but I will say that sometimes it’s better to ask forgiveness, than to ask permission. 600 sq is to small for a two bedroom. In my opinion and experience, it requires at least 800 sq for a 2bd. I would look for a handyman to assist you, you can get referrals at hardware stores. It’s late and I don’t remember your other questions. But if you have questions then I’ll be happy to share my experiences.
  • Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2015 · 241 posts · 132 votes
    8y
    And yes you’ll have to rezone it and the likely good of that is slim to none.
  • Investor · South San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Appreciate your response!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.