Looking for reviews for Home Advisor from Contractors

5 Replies

Hello everyone! I’m looking for advice from people who have used Home Advisor from the contractor’s side of the business. I am a small contractor who is looking to solicit more business, and Home Advisor seems to be a good way for customers to find me. I’m not sure about the costs (I think it’s a couple hundred dollars a year, plus I’d pay for leads sent my way.  It’s difficult to find reviews for HA because most of them seem to be customers looking for reviews of the contractors themselves. I’d love a contractor’s perspective here. 

I read one review where the contractor said he was on a job and received several leads that he was unable to respond to immediately, he had to pay for them, and he would have been unable to take on those jobs anyway. He also said HA’s sales tactics make it difficult to cancel their service. Being a small contractor, I likely would not be able to take on every job that comes my way. Depending on the number of leads I'd receive, I might need to turn away most of them, or at book them out several months.  

I have a couple large competitors in the area, and while those competitors have marketing budgets that reflect the size of their business, I am a lot smaller and more affordable. This wouldn’t be my only source of advertising, as I will be branching out with Facebook/Instagram advertising, targeted mailings, Craigslist, and other options.

Has anyone used Home Advisor to connect their business with customers? I’d love to hear your honest positive and negative experiences. Thanks very much!

I spent about a year and a half using Home advisor. Spent well north of $15k on it. 

Now, I run a design build firm, so we look for a pretty rare customer. If you're, say, a roofer your results might be better.

We spent a lot of time tailoring our profile and on the phone with our rep zeroing in the zip codes we wanted. (Atlanta is heavily balkanized, so zeroing in zip codes was crucial)

Here's what we got -

* People calling from Homeadvisor are looking for bargain prices, period. They look at it almost like Craigslist.

* They always seem to come from the most marginal neighborhoods in the zip code

* They're usually ******* nuts

* We cycled through several hundred leads to get one or two that was worth talking to (Very bad static to signal ratio)

* Oftentimes leads would just be duds, disconnected numbers or people who were "just messing around on the internet and put their information into a form" - you will not get reimbursed by Homeadvisor for these leads.

* Once we started being very selective about what leads we accepted, Homeadvisor throttled back the number and quality of leads they sent us. Do not expect to be able to cherry pick what leads you take and get good leads.

* Do not use the instant connect feature (Where they call you with a 'live lead')... it's terrible and unpredictable, and you can't see how much the lead is going to cost before you pick up the phone.

Ultimately, I realized we were much better off paying for a good website and SEO/Google adwords than we were with Homeadvisor.

I run a full-service remodeling firm with 10 full-time crews working. 

HomeAdvisor is profitable for us, but it's not a big part of our mix. We get over 50% of our business from Angie's List, 25-30% repeat customers and referrals, and the rest is a mix from various other sources.

We're 7 years old. Our business really changed about 3 years in when we started making a big push for clients to review us on Angie's List, and then bought AL's paid advertising so people can find us when they search. But for that to work, you have to make sure your reviews are going to be very good. We have 125 reviews, and most people stop reading after the first page or two, but every now and then, I'll go out and meet with someone who's literally read every one of them!

Thank you guys for the replies! 

@Aaron McGinnis , I am not a roofer, but in terms of this discussion, I may as well be.  I am a rain gutter contractor.  I work alone so the number of jobs I would be able to take on is limited, but it would be relatively easy for me to collect a zip code list that I'd be willing to work in.

Good to know about the bargain hunters.  I think in this space, I might be among the least expensive player, but I surely would not go cheaper just to get a job.  My time and labor is worth something. 

Also good to know about the ******* nuttery. I wouldn't want to spend my time verifying lead quality, so maybe this wouldn't work for me.  I'm flying solo here, so any time spent qualifying leads is time that I could be working.  

@Michael Hayworth , do you have anything to say about Angie's List?  I expect my reviews to be very good, although I have no public presence to speak of yet.  90% of my work is currently for a couple different builders (one large new construction builder, and a couple other smaller remodelers), and I'd like to branch out a little and start doing some private jobs for homeowners, as it would be more money than I charge builders.  My work is good enough to work for large builders consistently, but I know homeowners are a totally different animal in regards to reviews :) 

Thanks again guys!

Christopher,

I would concur with the above comments on HA.  We use it, but are very selective in what leads we let them charge us for.  Angie's List is similar from our perspective.  We are an Interior Finishes contractor that deals in cabinets, countertops, tile and floorcovering...we get about 50% leads that are no good for us - repairs we don't do, etc.

Bang for your buck, I would look into your local BNI.  I love it.  In addition to quality leads, you have the opportunity to learn a lot about being a business owner and sales.

Good Luck!

@Laureen Youngblood , thank you for the information!  It seems like Home Advisor might not be a great fit for me.  Perhaps if I was a larger operation I could handle more leads that I'd have to decline, but since my time is limited, I think lead quality trumps all.

Good info about my local BNI!  I looked mine up and it seems to be active, I shall check it out!  Thanks again.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.