Votes
Warren West
  • Coventry, RI
Votes |
Negotiating Electric Work

Warren West
  • Coventry, RI
Posted Jul 22 2019, 09:56
I'm getting my house rewired from knob and tube to romex.  I have gotten 3 quotes so far.  Two that came in at $14k.  The third did a walk through and gave me a verbal estimate of $9k, but then the written quote bumped up to $14k along with the others after he found a code issue that would make the job harder than anticipated.  I did some digging and found out the code issue wasn't actually real for residential and only applied to commercial which was the past job he had based that on.  He then dropped the quote by $2k considering he can now run romex above a drop ceiling.  That brings the quote to $9k.

Is it worth seeing if I can negotiate this quote at all?  He is still $2k under the other quotes, but $3k over his initial estimate.  His quote states that they expect 3 techs to spend 5-6 days on the job.  I don't want to turn him off to the job by sounding cheap or like I don't see his value.

Could I save some money buying materials on my own and providing them?  I have a connection with one of the largest construction companies in the area who already offered to get me materials at whatever their cost is.  Should I bother bringing this up with the electrician?  I don't know if his materials discount for his company would be comparable to what the big company gets.

Loading replies...