Does Residential Contractor Bond cover Apartments?

1 Reply

I'm doing research on a contractor I am considering hiring to replace some stairways at my 10-unit apartment building. Searching his company info on the Oregon Construction Contractor's Board site I see that he has a Residential Surety bonding but not Commercial. 

When it comes to bonding, I'm not sure which category my apartments fit in; I don't want to hire a company whose bonding won't apply to my building. Does anybody know the answer to this?

You know... sometimes the contractors don't even know what they purchase and what they are covered by. Best bet would be to call the surety and ask them. Looks like you have the policy number... shouldn't be a problem. If he's not covered... maybe ask him to find out how much it would cost to add the coverage? If he was willing.