Septic isssues. What is the average cost for new Septic in MA?

25 Replies

We're in Panama City Beach and have 2 duplexes that we have to eventually tie into the city. The Impact Fees alone quoted from the county will be $4,900, Lift Station will be $1,500-3,000, and then there will be the cost for the Plumber to do the work. We were also told that if they deem it necessary to have the tank dug up and removed then it could cost even more. 

After doing the little research we've done and talking to neighbors who have tied in to the city we expect to be at around $10,000-13,000 for each duplex. 

@John Mader

Thanks John,

It appears that it can get costly. I’ve researched done some research and it says takes only 3-5 days to re-install. I can live with that. It’s learning or finding it would take 40k to reinstall and that’s when I would turn that deal down.

Is that fair to say? Or do you think it’s worth it?

@Steven Robillard True. Have you looked into calling someone who does them in the area you are buying in? Sometimes the town has a list of septic people. They don't recommend, they just say these are people authorized in our area already. They can usually ballpark it for you. A 40 thousand system is a nitrogen reduction system that is needed in wetlands or smaller lots where you might otherwise not Perk. I didn't see too many nitrogen reduction systems in MA but lots where I am now in RI. What does the title 5 for the property say, did it fail?

@Steven Robillard   I know of two cases where properties in Mass saw septic costs of $50,000. 

One was a mounded system because of soil that wouldn't perk and required the removal of several large trees.  The other was a self-contained treatment system because the town was crazy.  It was a mini version of a municipal waste water treatment plant.

When I was working with investors there, I always suggested that they plan for $35,000 and hope for $25,000.  I've never seen one under $20,000 unless it was a repair.  Of course it it was close to a lake, river or ocean, all bets are off.

If you're looking at a property, I'd suggest talking with the town and find out what nearby homes have had systems replaced recently.  Track down the owner or the contractor and get the cost.  That should get you pretty close.

One other point.  Systems are sized for the number of bedrooms, so if you want to allow for future expansion, size your system for one or two more beds than you currently have.

@Steven Robillard

I was just giving the top end for my area. The guy that did the install was really fast and did it in a day. It was also for my personal new construction house.

It shows you are a flipper. The first step would be to have a “septic designer” give you a design. After you have a design you can take it to an installer and figure out real costs. The period that takes the longest is getting approval on the repair/new system. I think repairs (drain field) go really fast relative to new construction.

Usually when a listing says “septic system failed” they are talking about the drain-field.

Pm me any questions.

Yeah it’s true.

Standard 2-3 bed septic systems with leaching fields I pay around 15k. I’ve heard bottomless sand filter systems run close to and over 30k.

Have you made sure there isn’t a sewer line right at the street and they aren’t tied in yet? I’m dealing with this on my next house.

It’s hard to know what kind of system you’ll need without a perk test. Or if there just isn’t enough room for a standard system.

This is in Rhode Island but what I usually do to try and make an educated guess at it is check the DEM website. In RI all the OWTS compliance certificates are available online. So I can look at who has a system already installed on the street. Then I literally drive by and look in peoples back yards. Or maybe google earth. This will give you an idea if there’s good perk tests in the area or a bunch of ledge or something  

Mass should have something very similar to the RI DEM website. Google “ri septic lookup” to check it out.

My personal home has septic and I have owned rentals with septic.  Don't freak out on this until you have an inspection.  High end assumes everything needs to be handled, dug out, replaced, etc.  Many times it can be broken pipes or other "repairable" issues.  Keep in mind septic systems are designed by number of users in home.  You can certainly take into consideration the resale value of a larger and brand new septic as well.

We are working on a project now in Littleton.  For a faily easy Septic we were quoted $30k for the job. TThere is another in Westford that we were looking at. This one was near water and the quote for $40k. When I assess a home in Ma i use $25k as my mark for the cost unless its near water then I use 40k.