How you deal with snow rehabs?

10 Replies

Hey there BP community! I have a question. For those who invest in the Midwest and there’s snow for so many months of the year. How do you deal with the snow if you wanna do brrr? How you deal with rehabs? Does that affect you?

Hey Victor - Generally speaking the snow does not have much of an effect on rehabs in my experience here. Most contractors will take the appropriate measures to protect the materials on site and the only project that may be effected by snow would be replacing a roof. Hope this helps. 

Promotion
Innago
Property Management Software
Manage Your Rentals Better For Free. Save Time & Money.
Easily Collect Rent, Screen Tenants, Sign Leases, List Properties, Manage Work Orders, & Much More!
100% Free Try It Now
Originally posted by @Victor Funes :

Hey there BP community! I have a question. For those who invest in the Midwest and there’s snow for so many months of the year. How do you deal with the snow if you wanna do brrr? How you deal with rehabs? Does that affect you?

Get the furnace working, blow hot air, do nothing exterior from December until March unless its a dry day. Im currently working on my 3rd BRRRR in the Midwest, winter was a problem when we needed to add a fence. We waited about a week for temperatures to rise.

@Victor Funes …we continue work year round here in Buffalo and there are a few things you should think about.

Extra $$$ for heating (even if your not working on the house you want to keep it about 55 inside). Make sure your hearing source is tuned up so you don’t have any lost time.

Snow removal. Make sure the contractors understand they are responsible to remove snow to access their work.

More cutting, prepping, etc. work will typically be done indoors so make sure you hire a contractor who likes to be clean and won’t turn the entire interior into a personal workshop/storage shed.

Figure extra $$$ for temp enclosures and heat if you wish to do exterior painting, masonry, etc.

It’s darker later in the AM and earlier in the evening so make sure you have a lot of good, temporary lighting so you can maximize the amount of time your guys are working when they are actually onsite.

Planon missing a few days here and there due to a “snow day” when guys can’t make it to work due to a snow storm. I would add a day to the schedule for each week anticipated just to be safe.