What does BiggerPockets mean to you?

4 Replies

Clever name, clever logo ... but what does it mean?  While I'm new here, I'm getting the impression that the community is focused on property acquisition / flip, cash flow, leverage and repeat.   I'm not seeing a ton of representation of ideas around net worth, and buy and hold investing. 

When I think bigger pockets, it's not $200 positive cash flow, its the 6 figure equity in my rentals.

@Darin Knight As far as what it means to me, I have learned so much from this site I can't even begin to put words to it.

That $200/mo cashflow can and does lead to that 6 figure equity for many.  It often starts with boring old-fashioned acquisition though.  

@Darin Knight - you are bringing into focus some pretty high-flying concepts. You, for instance, will know exactly what i mean when I say the following:

Cash Flow means everything and equity means nothing... However, cash flow means nothing, and equity means everything!

There are dichotomies and synthesis in this sport which is only evident to seasoned investors; those of us who have seen people come and go, rise and fall - those who have experienced it for ourselves...

What you are saying is true, but only if you have perspective, and only if you're able to read between the lines.. Vast majority of people on BP are complete, or at the very least, relative newbies - forget reading between the lines; they are just trying to learn the alphabet. Their thinking is flat and uni-dimensional, as it likely should be in the beginning - one has got to start somewhere :)

Start a topic that you deem serious and insightful, and you'll get seasoned and highly experienced and opinionated people weighing in...

Thank you for the thoughtful replies.  Clearly there are many ways to play the game and win.  The one I'm struggling with is my relatively attractive W2.  My signature on BiggerPockets says I'm a Real Estate Investor, but I'm really a Corporate Goon.   I don't see a bridge between W2 to full time real estate investor until my residence and units are paid off.  Sounds like a slow and boring strategy, but I'm just outside of 10 years away.  My pockets are big and getting bigger.  However, I'm struggling to articulate if I should modify my strategy or stay the course.   For now I'll continue reading the forum, but if anyone can make sense of this post, please let me know.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you