Is BP being spammed/ddns/hacked?

14 Replies

What is going on with all of the posts in chinese? Looks like a lot of spam?

i think so... this is insane , lol

Originally posted by @Travis Lloyd :

What is going on with all of the posts in chinese? Looks like a lot of spam?

Travis,

It is a pretty crude attempt at a denial of service (DoS ... not DDNS) attack, but not likely an outright cracking (not hacking) attempt.

I don't think it is DoS - they want somebody to read those SPAM ads. 

Just go to the account profile for those accounts and at the bottom there is a Report link. That will tell the mods to lock the account when they see the SPAM. And report the posts as well so they can be wiped off, thus defeating the intentions of the spammers in the first place. 

Originally posted by @Steve Babiak :

I don't think it is DoS - they want somebody to read those SPAM ads. 

Just go to the account profile for those accounts and at the bottom there is a Report link. That will tell the mods to lock the account when they see the SPAM. And report the posts as well so they can be wiped off, thus defeating the intentions of the spammers in the first place. 

Perhaps ... but ad spammers typically do not want to impact the performance of the site they are spamming.  It may be a failed script for auto-spamming ads that is having the side effect of a mild DoS.

It is quite probable the connections responsible are coming from a single IP space (network or block assignment) and if the hosting provider could be prodded to block those connections the problem would move on to someone else in short order.

What did I say that ticked off the North Koreans? :(

Originally posted by @Roy N. :
Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

Perhaps ... but ad spammers typically do not want to impact the performance of the site they are spamming.  ...

I haven't noticed any problems with site performance. We are posting and the spammers are posting, and we can read the posts. Of course, reading the good posts that are surrounded by spam is a PITA. 

This happened on another forum.  Someone explained it has to do with a website wanting to improve on Google search function.  I guess it has to do with linking to other forums that get a lot of traffic.

Originally posted by @Bill Gulley :

What did I say that ticked off the North Koreans? :(

I think they wanted to seller finance something ...

:)

Hey guys - We're working on it -- never seen an attack like this before.  We've got a few of us working on it..... please bear with us.

Originally posted by @Joshua Dorkin :

Hey guys - We're working on it -- never seen an attack like this before.  We've got a few of us working on it..... please bear with us.

Josh:

They are quite common ... 

While I agree with Steve this is not showing the pattern of a well orchestrated DoS, it does not smell like Ad Spamming either.  Hugh gives a plausible explanation of an attempt to manipulate search engine results - though there would diminished benefit of trying this on an English, North American site from China or North Korea ... someone who can read the posts, could probably help identify their source (some one who sees the source IP addresses could also tell)

I would think Cloudfare should be running intrusion/DoS detection on its perimeter and be blocking the IP source networks  - at least temporarily.

Nice work @Joshua Dorkin and others. Home page looks better already. Thank you!

It was the Chinese government trying to take down BP.  They know that if the citizens of the US all become successful real estate investors it will inhibit their ability to buy our entire country.  Their strategic plan is to take down the BP Empire, then move on to taking down the property brothers and other HGTV stars.

Originally posted by @Steve Babiak :
Originally posted by @Roy N.:
Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

Perhaps ... but ad spammers typically do not want to impact the performance of the site they are spamming.  ...

I haven't noticed any problems with site performance. We are posting and the spammers are posting, and we can read the posts. Of course, reading the good posts that are surrounded by spam is a PITA. 

Steve:

Poor choice of words.  Usability is what I was meaning to convey.

writing was definitely Korean.  Circles are the definitive clue.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.