I Love It When The Contractor Says...

8 Replies

Dean, remember me I'm the restoration contractor, the demolition contractor is my cousin Jerry and his number is ##########

When they look at the project and immediately point out all kinds of problems then start acting distressed, frustrated, and fatigued I know I'm being set up for a ridiculous bid. Often times this is accompanied by letting me know all types of code violations currently present.

Alternately, when they start going through a range of possible solutions with enthusiasm it usually indicates I'll get a reasonable bid and they are looking for a solution.

My PM just texted me:

"Just a heads up, there is water coming from the upstairs bathroom into the downstairs....everywhere. Haven't gotten a good look yet but I'll let you know when I find more. Have a great weekend."

brutal 

Originally posted by @Alexander Felice :

My PM just texted me:

"Just a heads up, there is water coming from the upstairs bathroom into the downstairs....everywhere. Haven't gotten a good look yet but I'll let you know when I find more. Have a great weekend."

brutal 

Have a great weekend! Wow, I'm sorry.

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)
Originally posted by @Alexander Felice :

My PM just texted me:

brutal 

I just hope that your weekend was still your weekend and not your wallet breaker. Water is NEVER  a good thing ...when it's not where it belongs.

Brand new boiler is overheating...  "Yeah I would love to help but I'm in canada the next 3 weeks on a moose hunt"

This one came in an e-mail. Pm sends this: We had a very heavy wet spring snow. We are working on the damage. Broken fence, cleaning up the debris in the yard. Then nothing for a couple weeks. I want to know how much it's going to cost me so I call the PM. I ask why he hasn't let me know how much it cost me to have the debris hauled off and the fence fixed. He says he's sorry he hasn't called. He's waiting for the insurance company to tell him how much it's going to pay for damages to the roof. I have $5000 deductible. I call the insurance company. The estimate is $6000 dollars. I tell the Pm I'll pay for all damages not wanting a claim that's only going to pay me $1000. Fix the roof and let's move on. (I'm after the tax deduction here). Total bill for roof, debris, and fence ends up being $3500. RR

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.