fruit tree Tax exemption

3 Replies

In California more then 5 fruit trees is considered a Orchard for tax purposes, I can get the Orchard Tax exemption for first 4 years after planting. has any one tried this with multifamily properties? I know of single family homes that have. 

Think it also applies to multi family dwellings now might be worth a few thousand in Property tax reduction plus tenants like the Fruit trees. 

Every state will have different tax assesment laws so I suggest learn yours.. In wisconsin you can enter your land, if extra into a managed forest program which has reduced taxes.. Or you can engage in agriculture which will result in reduced taxes. Or you can produce maple syrup or prove your fruit trees are ag in some way, you can achieve reduced taxes. But you always have to pull out the subject and land it sits on. And there are minimum amounts they will accept for these practices.

also consider the added mess from fruit trees, as well as the things they attract, for example in WI fruit not picked that starts to break down or drops and left to lay attract yellow jackets and other stinging bugs as well as the hazard of falling fruit, and staining concrete depending where they are.  not a bad consideration though. 

We have no mess! and we get rent paid on time as the tenants pick the fruit for food and use cash to pay rent. we have the normal mow and blow pick up any thing else. We would have watered anyway so zero extra cost and with Tenants eating Avocados and citrus little goes to waste. I prefer a well manicured Green properties as we attract long term Tenants with well maintained landscaping in California people who consider lifestyle will pay higher rents.. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here