Financing multi families

7 Replies

hi,

I have some buy and hold rentals which are financed through banks with 20% down payment . And a big loan on primary residence.

Now I want to purchase a bigger rental  but not through private lending as the rates are very high. 

Last time I checked with my existing bank financing other rentals said they can't finance more as I already have few loans on existing.  How can I get it financed and what are options and conditions to purchase my next rentals ?

Any guidance much appreciated 

Thanks

Shaw

@Shawn B. Some local banks have loan limits to individual borrowers. My best advice is to reach out to other local banks and see if they'll give you financing. If your personal financial situation is such that you are no longer able to guarantee debt (in the eyes of a bank), you'll need to find another investor to take recourse on the note. Depending on the size of the deal, so institutional investors will do this for a fee.

Hope this helps! DM me if you have any other questions.

Definitely go to another small local bank that has their own portfolio loans.  It took me awhile to locate some in my area but now I have about 3.  Last year I closed 3 portfolio loans with 4 or more properties per loan.  If you are not over 10 properties I would consider standard loans because rates are much more appealing.

Thankyou @Rocky V. and @Tyler Kastelberg for your responses So what I said the limit of number of cash flowing multifamily properties one can buy using portfolio loans and what is usually interest rate for portfolio loans

Ok thanks so if I have 20 percent down payment to buy a new income generating property and a million dollar in loan on other properties. Portfolio loan can still be applied for new property ? Or would they look at debt ratio etc ?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.