New BP Book: Real Estate Note Investing by Dave Van Horn

32 Replies

Whether it’s through mortgages, student loans, or credit card debt, nearly everyone (especially real estate investors!) is in the note business. The trouble is, most people are on the other side of it: writing checks to note holders rather than cashing checks as note owners.

• Make big profits investing in notes, even if you have no experience.
  • Use notes to raise more money for your physical real estate deals.
  • Make strong returns without the pain of dealing with tenants.
  • Recognize the different types of notes—and learn which ones to stay away from.
  • Scale your business through a passive investment vehicle backed by hard real estate.
  • Use note investing to pay for expenses or simply to provide additional cash flow.

Are you a wholesaler, a rehabber, a landlord, or even a turnkey investor? This book will help you turn your focus to the “other side” of real estate investing, allowing you to make money without tenants, toilets, and termites.

“I’ve known @Dave Van Horn a long time. What I appreciate most about Dave is the way he breaks down complicated ideas and makes them easier to understand. In his latest book, “Real Estate Note Investing,” he breaks open the “black box” of the financing side of real estate and shows ordinary investors how to think “like a bank” so they can do more deals and be more profitable. Highly recommended!”
-Joe Fairless, Bestselling Author and Podcast Host of “Best Real Estate Investing Advice Ever”

Starting at $19.99, this book is ONLY available on BiggerPockets.com. Order here.

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

Exciting! Will it be available on any extern platforms like audible, google books etc any time soon?

The link to the PDF downloadable version is not working...

Hello @Steven Taylor

I had the same issue and customer service said that there is no PDF version.

The only versions available are the Amazon Kindle version and the book application for MAC/iPhone.

Hope that helps!

It should be ePub for mac platform. They do make an eReader that does both mobi (Kindle) and ePub (everything else). 

Great podcast, thanks Dave!

(616) 350-1494
How do I add this to my Kindle library?

This book looks to be a very good value at $20. I also agree with other posters, I'd be interested in an audible version since I listen to many books with my audible.com subscription. 

@Art Kester

Hey Art, check out an app called Voice Dream. It can read PDFs aloud to you. I use it all of the time when audible versions of books aren't available.

The link is not working. There are other people who have also purchased this and have had the same issue. How and when will this be resolved?  

Just finished the book it is an easy read and very informative. I hope to put the information to use and begin profiting from this area of investing.

I did notice that in my version of the epub, some the illustration (latter int he book) are not there.

You can use Calibre (a free package available at https://calibre-ebook.com) to view the Epub format and convert it to different formats.  (It used to be able to load them onto a Kindle).  (Even though the file a few people have mentioned Mac format, Calibre (on Linux) seemed fine with opening it, just unzip the main file first to get the *epub and *mobi files)

How does buying the audio work? What format is it in, anyone know? Also, had anyone actually done this? Note investing seems a lot more difficult and risky than just buy rentals.

@Roger Jones it's mp3 format.  I only have the audio version and it's a good book.  It took me a little while to get used to audio books, but now they're indispensable to me.  I'll still get the ebook for the text to refer to because it's just my thing to collect the ebook versions and I still like to read to learn and helps me retain it more.  

@Roger Jones  

You should be able to buy the audio book (in MP3 format as Alex describes above) by clicking the 'Audio Book' tab here:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/store/real-estate-no...

And of course I've been note investing for over a decade, but there's actually a whole forum on BP dedicated to those who work in the note business:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/70-tax-liens-...

@Dave Van Horn I finally got around to ordering my copy last night. Thanks for all of your generous support, solid content, willingness to serve and come out to speak at NYC BP Meet Up and for all of your thoughtful responses to me and so many others on BP and beyond!!!

This is just the book I’ve been looking for! Perfect timing as I’ve been interested in learning about this note investing. Thanks so much Dave Van Horn! I can’t wait to devour the book!

@Dave Van Horn my mind was blown....thank you!! The principles of thinking like the bank have reshapped my understanding of financing and leverage. Thank you for your candor and your vulnerability...great read, highly recommend!!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.