Ep 282: Creating the Perfect Partnership w Jay Helms & Tim Kelly

17 Replies

When does one plus one equal WAY more than two? Real estate partnerships! On this episode of The BiggerPockets Podcast, we sit down with two real estate investors (Jay Helms and Tim Kelly) who were attempting to build their business alone, but found they could do far more together. In this fun and fast-paced interview, you’ll learn what makes their partnership so successful, as well as how the team analyzes a market (including several can’t-miss online research websites), and how they took down a 42-unit apartment complex using some pretty fantastic creative financing. Whether you plan to build your empire alone or alongside a partner, this episode is sure to give you a variety of tips and strategies to help your business take off.

Listen here or on your favorite podcast app.

Mindy, 

Thank you because this is exactly what I'm looking at doing. I reside in Italy and am searching how exactly to find someone that I can partner with to grow exponentially together. 

Thanks again,

Miguel

It's the perfect episode for the perfect time in my education. Thank you to all for the awesome partnership tips. This is firing me up more than usual.

And I ECHO the REI meeting tips in this episode. When the guest speaker is done, the meeting turns into a meet and greet session which can be a bit intimidating if you are introverted at all. I basically just grab a chair and plop it down next to someone and say "Hi. Tell me about your story." and that's it. We're off to the races. I can't recommend these meetings enough as opportunities to broaden knowledge and stumble upon opportunities that weren't anywhere on your radar.

What a great podcast! I listen to the Bigger Pockets all of the time but this one did a couple things for me:

1. Making sure I have clear and concise goals! 

- I want to find someone who has similar goals to ours and develop a partnership. I think this is the first step to achieving that goal.

2. Posting to Bigger Pockets consistently and participating in my local REIA.

- I have heard this several times but I guess it is about consistently doing it. I am definitely going to do this starting now by making this post. :)

3. The idea of using a 203K loan to buy a property and renovate. 

-I have heard mixed reviews about this but I think I am going to do some more research. I would love to buy a property and use the bank to rehab. This seems like a good strategy for someone like me starting out and wanting to do their first flip. 

Thanks for such a great episode! This isn't the first podcast I have listened to this show consistently for over a year. Currently, have 2 long term rentals in Johnson City Tn. Looking for a property to BRRR.

I really needed tthis episode. Wouldn't you know the very next day I stumbled across a partner at my job. The weird thing is everyone hates this guy but me. Because Im not a judgmental guy I found out he as well as his dad own close to 30 properties combined. 

Two points I'm trying to make is one never be judgemental. You never know what a person may be able to contribute to your life to make you a better person. And two when you align yourself with the goal, the universe has a weird way of bringing it together.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you