BP Site Questions/ Suggestions

3 Replies

Has anyone noticed when they click on their dashboard that the site has you start automatically "following" random new people you don't know?  I saw on my profile I was following people and when I clicked on it and realized I don't know them nor need to based on location and what they do I cleared it all out.  After clicking on my dashboard a few times or reloading in the area of people it suggests I should follow it automatically adds them to my now following.  This is the strangest thing and I'm sure a lot of people are wondering why they follow so many or why they have so many followers from attorneys in Fl to contractors in PA to a guy with no location or about me who has only 2 connections but 6,300 followers, like Thomas S.

I get being here to expand your network but this isn't facebook or a blind meeting app.  I enjoy connecting with people with a purpose and thought and hopefully a conversation or we want to be added to each others deal list, etc.  

Any chance of changing this or opting out?

Second, but more important in my book, anyone else have problems receiving marketplace notifications?  I like the idea of the marketplace but it seems I don't get any alerts even though I've double checked my settings nor do I believe anyone receives an alert when I post something which really defeats the purpose.  

Am I missing something here or does this need to be corrected?

Hi @Brian Poirrier .

Thanks for bringing this up. Right now, when you sign up for the site, you are automatically connected to me, the Community Manager. However, if you are only following me, then your dashboard feed will be filled with only MY comments. 

We started the auto-follow (and choose active members with similar interests to yours) so your feed is move diverse. 

Interesting to include an opt-out, and I'll discuss this with the developers. Right now, you can unfollow people by clicking the unfollow button next to their names, but we wanted to make it super easy for members to get more relevant content in their feeds. 

@Mindy Jensen I'm not sure I understand the purpose of randomly following people, but is there going to be any improvements to the marketplace? I was excited to have more listing options as part of a Pro account but no one gets keyword alerts about my marketplace listings, I can't make general forum posts about wanting to meet buyers and my listings are not visible on m profile page either so it really defeats the purpose of why should anyone add listings here unless someone is very actively using the marketplace search tool which does not seem likely considering better options out there from Zillow to the MLS.

Hi @Brian Poirrier .
Thanks for your feedback. We're hoping that by making it easier to follow other members, that everyone will have a more interesting dashboard feed and be able to find interesting/relevant discussions more easily.
Thank you also for the feedback on the marketplace. We're thinking through the next steps in how to make this a more cohesive experience.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you