Votes |
BP Conference 2020 in New Orleans

Greg Jeanfreau
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Orleans, LA
Posted Feb 28 2020, 11:09

For all of the BP members coming to NOLA for the conference a few things:

New Orleans is an absolutely fantastic place to be in October. Hurricane season is just about over and the weather (usually) cools off a little. After a sweltering NOLA summer, even the mid 80s is a treat. There is an electricity in the air that we made it through another season without a chaotic apocalyptic disaster and collapse of local government. Well, actually our local government is pretty much ALWAYS in some state of collapse.

Mardi Gras begins on the "12th Night" (January 6th every year) and is over around February about 40 something days before Easter. Do what you wish, but locals will not wear Mardi Gras beads unless that are walking from a parade during that time of the year.

We love when people come to visit the city. Some of you may find that people here are more friendly than you are used to. They'll strike up a conversation like they've known you for years. Go with it. Embrace it. It's just how we are. When you walk by someone on the street, always greet them with a "good morning" or "how ya doin?" or whatever you wish. Just don't look down at your phone instead of talking to people passing by.

New Orleans generally is a safe place IF you follow some guidelines. Some of our neighborhoods can go from $1mm+ homes to crack houses in a matter of a block or 2. If you begin to not feel safe, then turn around and go where you do. Stay away from the French Quarter late at night. Not much good happens at that time. You can get out just as much debauchery out at 8PM (or 8AM) as you can at 2AM. Don't risk it. Go to Bourbon St. once, maybe twice at the most. New Orleans has so much more to offer. Same with Frenchmen St. There are swamp tours, streetcar rides, the sculpture garden, Garden District tours, WWII museum, Mardi Gras World tour (where floats are made), etc. etc. etc. and lots and lots of great restaurants...

We have the best food on Earth. Period. The easiest thing to tell you is to consult nola.eater.com or ask a local. The best po-boy in the city is at Parkway Baker in my humble opinion. If you go to Cafe Du Monde in the Quarter, stop by Aunt Sally's Praline shop next door. My great grandfather started it in 1935 and it is still family owned. We make the best pralines in town!

I'm sure that I can speak for all the locals on BP when I say that we are super pumped that the conference will be here this year!

Loading replies...