Lot owner is different from mobile home owner and squatters

Lot owner is different from mobile home owner and squatters

Wholesaler · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 9 votes

Hey Everyone!  I have a contract signed on three mobile homes.  The seller owns the lots.  Someone else owns the mobile homes but they have abandoned them.  Then there are some unknown squatters living in those mobile homes and not paying rent to anyone.  I would like to buy these, fix them up and rent or seller-finance them.  How do I get the squatters out?  How do I take over possession of the abandoned mobile homes?  How do I keep the squatters out while I am rehabbing and selling/renting?  I can't drive by every day because they are 90 minutes from my house. Looking forward to hearing the solutions from all the creative investors!

Brad

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Brad Swearingen If you're willing to take it on, it may be easier to pay the squatters to leave. It can become a headache if you attempt to go through the legal system as it takes time. Bringing in the police is another option but I'm not quite sure how much they'll do. 

    If the seller can do something, it would definitely be easier on your part. Hiring a property management company can also be another route to go if you need someone else to take care of it for you. Start talking to people to see what your options are. 

    Best of luck! 

  • Wholesaler · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    @Rachel H., thanks!  I am getting a good deal on the lots because the owner doesn't want to deal with it.  The squatters have been rude to him and he wants nothing more to do with them or the process.  I do know a property manager so I will get some advice from him as well.  Hopefully I can still get some good input from the BP audience here.

  • Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 371 posts · 172 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Brad Swearingen:

    @Rachel H., thanks!  I am getting a good deal on the lots because the owner doesn't want to deal with it.  The squatters have been rude to him and he wants nothing more to do with them or the process.  I do know a property manager so I will get some advice from him as well.  Hopefully I can still get some good input from the BP audience here.


     You need to look at NC laws.  It's not as easy as one might think.  Even if you pay them to leave, others may take their place.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.