Typical lot size

8 Replies

What are the typical lot sizes most of you have, I'm seeing 100 lots on 5 acres or less and that seems very tight. On 10 of my acres I have 50 pads that are somewhat spaced apart but I couldn't even imagine having close to 200 pads sharing the same space?

I'm in the process of changing my configuration of a majority of my park and if I can squeze in more lots I'm all for that.

Forgot to include my typical lot size is 25 x 80

we like sites that fit homes that are at least 14 x 70. That is probably a pad that is 40 x 100. In some places, like Texas where they can grow the mobile homes big- we want 16 x 80 homes. Now your about 45 x 110. Many older parks will only fit smaller homes- which might all be 2 bed 1 bath homes- so watch that.

Here is a Jim's Tip- download Google Earth to your computer. Then open the map to the mobile home park. In the tools you will find a ruler. Choose feet, and click in one spot- now move your mouse and click again. It will show you how far, in feet, between the two clicks. So- you can now use that too to see how big houses are, or lots. You can leave the line on the screen as a marker, and lay out homes on the map. *advanced tip* at the bottom left of the screen- as you zoom in- is the date the image was taken. Well, try scrolling through the dates to see if the best image might be an older one. I know we use ones were there are no leaves on trees for instance. This is a GREAT way to preview a property prior to visiting. This along with 'street view' on can really help. *super advanced tip*- you can use your mouse to 'fly' across the image (map). So, maybe your like me and visiting a city, and you want to see the mobile home parks you do not know are in the area. I just spend some time with google earth and I mark them on my map. Then- if your really tricky you can use the GPS in your tablet or bluetooth your garmin into your computer- and you have a live map showing you where to drive too... or mark the maps and mail the owners, or print the maps and drive to the parks... anyway- that concludes Jim's Google earth Tips for the day... happy hunting!!

Thanks Jim for the great tip on the Google Earth tool.

What are your thoughts on the newer ranch style mobile homes that come in 28x44 that are 3 bd 2 ba? They are about the same price, the transportation and setup will be more since it is a small double-wide. I think the illusion that it is a ranch style home rather than a typical mobile home may have a broader appeal. Once built out it would more closely resemble a subdivision than a mobile home park.

My partner and I are in the market to buy a MHP in GA. Jim you helped ALOT re your how to tell the lot size of a given park. Plus your tips on what size is desired to hold current homes. Which I suspect the 1970's parks here in GA the pads are spaced too close and too shallow to hold current sizes...

So what is a strategy to replace junk in a possible purchased MHP?

So- I do not buy double-wides. The pas rent is the same for singles and doubles, and fewer doubles fit in the spaces. So I do not look into that market at all. 

As for replacing homes- we buy pre owned mobiles, then fix them up and sell them. In a blue moon, I might pull in a Legacy home. We sell affordable bedrooms and bathrooms. On a lease / option someone has space rent payments of 250, home rent payments of 250 - 300, and then at the end of 3-5 years they pay between 3 and 6 thousand for the home, which I will finance at the end of the lease. To be clear- I finance on a personal promissory note- the title transfers at the end of the lease term if they choose to buy.

To avoid a nasty surprise, if you plan on reconfiguring lots, check with the local zoning regulations first.  Many of the zoning laws have been updated and newer parks require larger lots.  In a lot of cases, older parks are grandfathered even if they have lots that are smaller than what is now required.

I just picked up a park that was originally approved for 102 lots but was built for 107. It has had 107 for a long time and nobody has said anything. Needless to say, I don't plan on changing the layout as it might cost me my grandfather status.

In many areas you don't have any choice as the size of the MH lots is governed by zoning of the county/municipality.

Thanks everyone for the insight, I looked into the zoning and I'm ok since we are not within the city limits. I will have to file a new plan with new lots but from my understanding the county is willing to work with me.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here