Experts on Fiber Optic in Land Lease Communities

8 Replies

Are you an expert on adding fiber optic to a land lease community to increase profits through controlling ground line telephone networks, security systems, cable TV, internet access, et al?

• Is it cost feasible? 
  • What kind of start up costs?
  • How much per pad? 
  • What is the minimum for consideration?
  • Any problems with existing providers?
  • Any problems with regulators?
  • Who are the reputable suppliers?
  • Are there reliable and expert consultancies on this?

Anything you can share would be appreciated

@Ken Rishel

My name is Andriy Boychuk and I am structured cabling engineer. I work at the company which does everything you described. However, we work on the commercial building in New York City and not on mobile home communities :) However, I would be more than happy to help you. After I get more information, I will respond this post. 

@Ken Rishel

I wish there are straight up answers to each of your questions. However, there are none. Everything depends on the case by case scenario.

The system consists from 3 components:

1. conduits

2. cables

3. equipment

1. Conduits. If you plan to build new community or install the system in the existing one you need to layout new conduits, manholes, and hand holes. If you plan to bring couple carriers into the community they do not like to share the same conduits. However, it is possible. Price you can get from a local electrical company for installing conduits and manholes.

2. Cables. In most cases, carriers run their own cable and there is no charge to you. However, it is the case by case scenario.

3. Equipment. Fiber is the way to do it. However, fiber equipment is pricey.

Also, you have to consider how far a carrier or carriers from your community and how much it cost to bring them to you point of entry (where carriers conduits meet yours)

Start up cost? Design + Labor Materials for conduits and manholes + Cable (optional) + Equipment. Prices are different in each part of the country so it is hard to give you a number. You can use RSMeans Online to get the cost for material and labor.

Any problem with regulators? If you want to lease cables to the carriers for profit you have to become CLEC (competitive local exchange carrier).

Are there reliable and expert consultancies on this? We did residential community once but the system was not installed because of fiber cost. It was couple years ago when fiber was extremely pricey. If you want we can schedule a conference call and talk about it more. Meanwhile, you can ask as many questions as you want here.

The hardest part of this project is to negotiate with carriers about terms, conditions and rates. If you plan to do it in couple location you will be more attractive client fro carriers.

A good read below.  I think centrally offering Internet is good business with a low startup cost and proven scalability, but this fiber business looks like the initial investment is excessive for small scale operations.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/01/what-if-your-subdivision-laid-its-own-fiber-network/

@Andriy Boychuk

In our buildings we typically run our own cable and force carriers to terminate in the equipment room - none of the we can't share the sandbox nonsense.   Could you not do the same in a MHP?  If you are trenching to lay the conduit, pulling glass through it is a marginal increase spend.

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

@Roy N. Yes, you can do the same in mobile home park. I have only experience with carriers in New York City. They do not want to share any conduits with any other carriers. Another option is to run one conduit and have couple microduct in it.

@Jeffrey H. thank you for the link

Originally posted by @Andriy Boychuk :

@Roy N. Yes, you can do the same in mobile home park. I have only experience with carriers in New York City. They do not want to share any conduits with any other carriers. Another option is to run one conduit and have couple microduct in it.

Andriy:

What I was getting at above was to run your own glass within the park and have the carriers terminate in an equipment hut.   In a building we are able to do this such that we can patch any unit to any carrier.  In a MHP, this would be a little tougher and you would probably end-up being a reseller to your tenants.

@Roy N. The problem with running your own glass (fiber) within the park is the liability issue for the carriers. Let's say you install cables in the park and carrier connected to it. A mobile home tenant calls Verizon or any other carrier to complain about bad service. Who is responsible for the cable at that point? You or the carrier? How can the carrier be sure you (your contractor) install cables properly?

I am not saying it not possible. It is possible and you do it already. I just bring it to everybody's attention.

Originally posted by @Andriy Boychuk :

@Roy N. The problem with running your own glass (fiber) within the park is the liability issue for the carriers. Let's say you install cables in the park and carrier connected to it. A mobile home tenant calls Verizon or any other carrier to complain about bad service. Who is responsible for the cable at that point? You or the carrier? How can the carrier be sure you (your contractor) install cables properly?

I am not saying it not possible. It is possible and you do it already. I just bring it to everybody's attention.

Technically, the solution is easy ... stick a tester on the ends. 

However,  I do appreciate that running your own cable creates a great opportunity for finger pointing.  In our buildings, we have a published chart of the test results for each run (fibre or CAT5/6) to a unit.  We welcome the technician from the carrier to retest the line, otherwise we deem them to have accepted our test results.