Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Mobile Home Park Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin T.
  • Mapleton, UT
Votes |
Mobile home park deal analysis

Kevin T.
  • Mapleton, UT
Posted Sep 11 2017, 18:15

Hi everyone,

I'm a new MHP investor and I'm looking at a deal now and wanted to get some outside input on the numbers to see if there's anything I'm missing or need to consider before putting in an offer.  Here are the key data points:

Park info 

• Located in Alabama
  • 61 lots
  • 25 owner occupied homes
  • 18 park owned homes (14 currently rented; 4 currently being repaired and should be rented soon)
  • 18 vacant lots
  • Avg lot rent - $160 (unknown what the market rate is but it doesn't sound like there has been a rent increase in at least a year, maybe more)
  • Avg POH rent - $400
  • Expense ratio - seller claims 26% but I'm estimating 35% for the lots and 50% for the POH's
  • City water - individually metered
  • Septic - good condition (allegedly); a couple were pumped last year, none this year (no lagoon thank heavens)
  • Seller claims gross income $130k, expenses $30k, and NOI $100k
    • I calculated gross income of ~$135k, expenses of $60k (55% on POH and 35% on lot rentals), and NOI of $75k

Other info

• Mom & pop seller, but park is listed with a broker
  • Park has been on the market for > 3 years (recent price reduction)
  • Greater metro area stats look good
    • Population = 115k
    • Median home price = $105k
    • Unemployment < 8%
    • Household income > $40k
    • Housing vacancy ~ 15%
    • Closest Walmart is 7 miles away
    • Freeway is 1.5 miles away

Numbers

• My valuation is coming out about $80k-$100k under the seller's asking price
  • With conventional financing I'd be hoping for a purchase price of $500k, $100k down @ 6% over 20 years (not sure if this is plausible or not)
  • Assuming that financing, I'm expecting net cash flow of $40k (after debt service)
  • Upside potential is in raising rent and filling the 18 vacant lots
    • Following the same assumptions above, raising rent $50 (if the market supports it) would change NOI to ~$90k and net cash flow of just over $50k
    • Filling the vacant lots could potentially increase gross rent up to somewhere between $150k-$200k, depending on what the appropriate occupancy rate is for the area

Without verifying any of the above information (haven't offered anything yet so there's a lot of DD left to do), the deal seems to make sense.  Since I haven't been through this before, I'm sure there are other factors I'm not considering which is why I'm putting this out here to see if anyone wants to weigh in and point me in the right direction?  Does this look like a good deal (assuming the data checks out)?

Thanks for any input

Loading replies...